Nairobi good byes


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province
June 3rd 2011
Published: June 6th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Our 830am wake up knock included coffee today. What a treat to have one last cup of fantastic Kenyan coffee in our cushy beds. Bags were collected by Sammy with the big grin. After a leisurely breakfast we got into the vans for the airport ride. No wildlife this time, which made it easier to say goodbye. The Air Kenya flight was a Dash 7, so big there were other people aboard. First time that had happened. Landing at Wilson Airport in Nairobi, we saw many planes from International Food Relief organizations. There were also several groups of adorable school children in uniform, perhaps on a field trip. I wish I had my camera out to snap some photos, but it was packed away. We drove past some very poor areas to get to the Nairobi Serena Hotel, where we had a day room. Security is very tight here, the car is checked going into the parking lot, and a security person watched us come and go on our floor. Some of the group went shopping. We had hoped to go to the David Sheldrick Trust Animal Orphanage, but it was closed. So we stayed in the hotel for a hot bath and nap before heading to the airport at 700pm. Most of the group are on the same flight to Amsterdam. Our Kenyan safari guides, Benjamin, Moses and Simon will transfer us to the International Airport. That was a trip in itself. After seeing nearly no vehicles throughout our trip, other than safari Rovers, there were so many on the road in Nairobi, traffic was choked en route. Four separate accidents along the way, it was totally unnerving. We tipped our guides additionally $20 each for their hard work and expertise. They made us feel protected and safe. One last meal together, a lovely seafood buffet at the Serena, we said our good-byes to the group. It was really sad to say good-bye to this group you had become attached to, and learned so much about, along the way.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb