Playing the tourist in Nairobi


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Nairobi Province
April 9th 2008
Published: April 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Elephant orphansElephant orphansElephant orphans

The elephant orphanage we visited.
We enjoyed our day today in Nairobi playing the tourists! We first went out to an elephant orphanage in the Nairobi national park: Shedrick. They do very good work by rescuing animals from poachers and other tragedies, and they keep them until they are old enough to survive on their own. The elephants are released back into the wild when they are about 3 years old, and they continue to monitor/check up on them until they are about 10. The youngest elephant there was 6 months old. She had been found in a well at 1 month old with only her trunk sticking out so that she could breathe. They said she is doing very well. The older group had elephants that were up to 28 months old, and those were soon to be released back into the wild. The work they do is very inspiring, such a great place to see!

After this, we headed out to the Giraffe Park. This place was expensive to see, but we got a lot of great pictures of us with a giraffe named “Betty”. They also had many wart-hogs at this park!

After returning to the hotel, we had a 2.5
More of the same...More of the same...More of the same...

Me with the elephants. We heard an interesting talk while we observed them.
hour nap! I guess we’re still feeling pretty jet-lagged and exhausted. Then, Ivy came to pick us up for dinner at her apartment at 6pm. It was so lovely to see a friendly familiar face, and catch up on old times and the goings-on at St. Peter’s. Ciru has a definite African accent now! 😊 They both wanted me to say hello to all of the Bellevue folks for them. Ciru particularly wanted me to say hello to Janelle Detering… so hello Janelle from Ciru!

Our friends from the Maua hospital will come and pick us up tomorrow afternoon for the 6 hour drive to Maua. I hope to post more as soon as I am able, but it may be several more days.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

YoungstersYoungsters
Youngsters

A young elephant and a young mzungu girl:).
TonyTony
Tony

Tony and the elephants...
More thirstyMore thirsty
More thirsty

2 elephants getting their milk, as a young group of school-goers watch.
Muddy elephantsMuddy elephants
Muddy elephants

Apparently the mud is good for their skin, and the elephants love to wallow in it!
Just the 2 of usJust the 2 of us
Just the 2 of us

And a bunch of elephants...
FlowerFlower
Flower

Tony took some pretty flower pictures. Here is one of them.
Pumba!Pumba!
Pumba!

Here is a wart-hog at the giraffe farm.
Giraffe profileGiraffe profile
Giraffe profile

A pretty giraffe.
Drooling Giraffe!Drooling Giraffe!
Drooling Giraffe!

Betty slobbered all over my arms!
Now we're talkin'Now we're talkin'
Now we're talkin'

Ok, much better. Me feeding Betty the Giraffe.
Working togetherWorking together
Working together

To feed Betty. Of course, she is getting a bit round in the mid-section, but we fed her anyways.
Tony's turnTony's turn
Tony's turn

What do you think is going through Tony's mind? He looks a bit uncomfortable... Maybe, "I hope the giraffe doesn't mistake my finger for a pellet"?
Dinner with Ivy and CiruDinner with Ivy and Ciru
Dinner with Ivy and Ciru

Thanks to both of you for your hospitality!
Ivy and CiruIvy and Ciru
Ivy and Ciru

Doing well in Nairobi.


10th April 2008

Thanks for coming!
It was so nice to have you guys over. Seeing you made me really homesick for Bellevue and St. Peter's. Funny thing, by the end of the evening Ciru's accent had sort of changed back to American! Have a safe trip to and stay in Maua, and we'll try to come over and visit. God bless!
10th April 2008

How fun! A drooling giraffe! The pics are great! I"m so glad we're able to talk to you guys, too! makes me feel a LITTLE more connected with my kids on the other side of the world in AFRICA~!

Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 14; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb