Arriving to Watamu


Advertisement
Kenya's flag
Africa » Kenya » Coast Province » Watamu
January 1st 2010
Published: February 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


I came to Watamu Kenya to volunteer for a month at the Local Ocean Trust, Watamu Turtle Watch (WTW). I spent New Years Eve on the most beautiful beech I have ever seen, where Green and Hawksbill turtles came frequently at night to lay eggs. Tonight there is a full moon so we can stroll on the beech at midnight admiring the stars and breathing warm moist air. I m told that January is the warmest month of the year and during the night temperature never falls below 80F.

On January 5th I am starting my work for the WTW. So far I have learned that there are 7 species of sea turtles and 2 of them (Green and Hawksbill) are frequently found foraging in Mida Creek near Watamu. Green turtle got its name from the color of its fat. Their diet is mostly made out of sea grass rich in hemoglobin that colors its flesh green. Hawksbill turtle is famous for its beautiful shell. All turtles are critically endangered but thanks to organizations like WTW and many others around the world that care about protection of those ancient species there is hope for their survival.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb