Backtracking Entry - Conakry, Guinea, February 12, 2008


Advertisement
Guinea's flag
Africa » Guinea
February 16th 2008
Published: February 16th 2008
Edit Blog Post

February 12, 2008

Another fun day in Conakry. A lot of driving around, which is wonderful, as I was able to see a lot more of the area. More traffic, more markets, and lots of people, as well as long lineups at the gas stations. Apparently, there is a possible shortage of fuel this week due to a delayed shipment in, and word has gotten out to everyone, so cars were lined up about 20 in a row, often, 2 rows, side by side, in front of the gas stations. Caused a lot of traffic headaches.

We stopped and viewed a couple of potential office spaces, then stopped at a house that the companies may be able to rent and convert into office space as well as sleeping areas for company travelers. This house is located between the Korean embassy and the Guinea-Bissau embassy.

Museum
From there, Aguibou had a great surprise for us, he took us to the Guinea museum. The lady gave us a tour, which started at a map of Guinea, with a similar flat map with the different areas of Guinea represented. The fascinating part was the different construction of huts that were displayed, coastal versus interior, in total, about 7 different types. We weren’t allowed to take pictures inside, which was so disappointing but standard procedure with many museums. I will have to try googling the various areas of Guinea and their hut styles when I get a good internet connection. We also were shown the different gods, traditional masks, instruments of Guinea and various areas of Guinea. It was an amazing tour and I thoroughly enjoyed the visit. I was allowed to take pictures outside, so took some of the statues in the yard. We visited a couple of the artisan stalls there, and Aguibou bought me a couple of leather boxes that are beautiful. Aguibou was intent on buying me gifts today, as it is my first trip to Guinea. He is a sweet man.

After the museum, we went for lunch at Le Rocher, with 3 representatives from AMIG, one of whom was Mr. S (nice to see him again). It was another nice lunch and I managed to take a picture of the group.

Shopping
Next, came more shopping! We picked up a nice bag, fabric for a wall hanging, and clothes for Connell and Justine - all gifts from Aguibou. But, we weren’t done! We then went to the wood carving store. Nothing was too appealing so Aguibou knew of another shop, about a 3 minute walk. So, off we walked to the other store, and that was the most amazing experience. We walked through a tiled area into a back ‘open’ area, filled with lots of men. They were carving, sanding, working on creating these beautiful works of art. There was a smell of smoke from stoves burning, several tables of finished products, some large, ornate carvings (2m+) and the odd site of a goat walking around. It was hot, somewhat sweaty, and tight to walk through, but oh so fascinating. I didn’t get to take a picture and how I would have loved to! We ended up with a carved creature and a small mask (we have to make sure items were on the small side so that we can pack everything back to Canada). The two wood items are beautiful and I look forward to adding them to our collection.

The walk to the store was interesting too. We had to be careful of cars as we walked on the side of the road, and were often honked at so that we would not be hit (even though we were quite careful and hugged the parked cars, people still honk!). I think we stood out as we walked along the street.

Fascinating Sites
Other fascinating sites of the day included a lot of markets and selling of wares. Drove past stores/market stalls that sold mufflers, fruit, bread, fish, dried fish (these were cool as the fish looked like they were sliced down the centre and the two halves were dried flat), seamstress services, clothing, mattresses, furniture (beautiful, solid wood), hair services (in fact saw a lady having her hair braided out front), wood carvings, printer toner. It is amazing, that almost anything you could want, you can find a little stall that sells that item. There are a lot of the clothing type stores, like the one we stopped in today. It had a huge selection!

Hotel
We returned to the hotel, changed into more comfortable clothes then headed back to the pool area to meet with Aguibou. Chris and Aguibou discussed business details, then another man, Ali, joined them in some discussions. Ali was nice and is the owner of the bulldozers used at our two exploration projects. Ali then headed off, we visited a bit more with Aguibou and decided we would try to leave early tomorrow morning (sometime before 9am). Chris and I went for an earlier dinner at the patio, then returned to the room to pack. We have completed that, so now I am typing. Not sure when I will ever get the chance to post these items, but hopefully soon. Looking like it will be when we get to Kouroussa, as they have a good internet connection there. The one at the hotel is not good.

The hotels in Africa are a little different than the ones back home. The floors are all tile and the walls are stucco. The bed and furniture are a dark, heavy wood, and are beautiful. The bathrooms are a little more basic, the toilets have pull flushes at the top of the tank. The toilet paper here, looks like it was hand wrapped in a loop over itself (like a roll of toilet paper without the roll). There is an open drain in the bathroom and no plugs over the large drain hole in the sink (don’t drop an earring!). The shower is tiles, with a fiberglass tub, and the water pressure is quite low. The bathroom reminds me of the ones in Argentina. The only odd part is that there is only one large towel for the two of us, left in the bathroom each day, not sure if we can request a second one or not, so we just share. As well, the door handle on the inside of the bathroom is missing, just a metal piece that sticks out. As a result, I am not comfortable with closing the door tight.

The hotel is protected with walls on all sides of the property, and security stationed at the entrance gate and at the more remote corners of the property. We are near one of those corners and have a watchman at a station near one of our windows. Comforting, yet at the same time, worrisome.

This hotel is quite fancy, with a large reception area. There is a fancier restaurant on the inside of the main building, where we eat breakfast each day. There is also two small gift shops (very expensive), and a pool table area. Outside, there is a large pool with a rather large patio area. There is an outdoor restaurant, a covered gazebo (with about 7 tables, air conditioned, glassed in, with a comfortable outside bench that wraps the outside perimeter of the circular structure), an exercise room and two tennis courts. Just outside the wall is the train tracks and then the ocean, although no viewing areas to the ocean. The only internet service is in the main reception area and it is through purchase by the hour. Chris tried it yesterday and had limited success. Apparently, there is a hair salon here, but no idea where it is (haven’t explored enough). Speaking of hair, one of the ladies we drove by yesterday, had the most interesting hair. It looked like it was cut into a bob, but when Iooked more closely, it was actually many, many very fine braids. It was beautiful. If I thought I could get away with it, I would have my hair braided like that.

Well, it is getting late and time to get ready for bed for our long day tomorrow. Apparently, it will take anywhere from 8 - 10 hours to get to Koba. Should be a fun adventure, especially without good field shoes (going to look a little odd walking around in my dress shoes - if my bag shows up tomorrow, Aguibou has it arranged for it to be delivered to Kindia for us to pick up)! Sure hope my bag catches up to me before we get back to Canada!





Advertisement



Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 7; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb