Into the Countryside


Advertisement
Guinea's flag
Africa » Guinea
April 5th 2006
Published: December 13th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Into the CountrysideInto the CountrysideInto the Countryside

This was the first shot taken, as the city gave way to the countryside.
To this point, things have been pretty tense. Remember, this wasn't a leisure trip, this was a live safari, an expedition to find, trap and return with 10 falcons. There was a very limited window afforded by having to please 3 separate governments as well as all of the international laws involved, and the date to have the birds in Quarantine back in the States was also set and narrow. While it was still quite an adventure, I didn't have the luxury of wasting time. This was business, and had taken many many months of preparation and bureaucracy, years of planning. All culminated in a win or lose trip - this trip. Were we successful? Read along and find out!

Leaving Conakry, I felt better almost immediately, and began to lighten up. Though still very much moving at the whim of a trapper wannabe who thought it was in his best interest to see me fail so that he could try to sell the birds to me (yeah, right!) I was gaining a feel for the people, land, politics, procedures, and all that goes with doing such unusual business in a foreign country.

The drive out and up was
Into the MountainsInto the MountainsInto the Mountains

An overcast day, it woudl eventually rain.
beautiful. Even though it was only the first week in April, there were sprinkles for a bit, and the smell of ozone hung thick in the air. The people in Africa rely upon the structure of rules though, so it wasn't going to rain for another month or more. Luckily for me, I put the rainfly on my tent anyway.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Trappng sparrowsTrappng sparrows
Trappng sparrows

They would put a mist net in front of a large clump of bushes, and retrieve whatever birds got caught up in it.
Small termite moundsSmall termite mounds
Small termite mounds

They get a lot bigger - some 2-3 stories tall!
AccipiterAccipiter
Accipiter

Wrong family of raptor, but thanks for showing it to me.
Interesction TownInteresction Town
Interesction Town

Shacks form buildings at intersections, til they become a small town.
Mighty NigerMighty Niger
Mighty Niger

This was my first view of the Niger river. It was stil dry season.
TrappersTrappers
Trappers

In search of finches to use for food and bait for the falcons.
Acre Rice PlotsAcre Rice Plots
Acre Rice Plots

Many people seem to have been granted one acre out here in the middle of nowhere. THey cultivate rice during the wet months.


Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb