Inspiring the Science of Space


Advertisement
Gambia's flag
Africa » Gambia » Western Division » Kololi
September 9th 2014
Published: September 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Being in a meaningful place is not solely bound to one room, one home, one state, one country, one race, one gender or one economic class. It in turn, is a state of consciousness where you constantly feel like you serve a purpose in every space that you enter. So the question is how do we design space to help facilitate Place for those who may be lacking this feeling of belonging?

A seemingly omniscient and influential power permeates organismic behavior at every given second of existence. It can never leave, but it can always assume dynamic nature. This power is Space; re-defined, it may be a parameter in which psychology can reflect its own design. Once behavior can reflect happiness, productivity, and healthy function, Space can then transform to meaningful Place. This Space is therefore our constant environment(s), in which we are all creatures of it.

The preceding well-known phrase has dramatic weight to its meaning; for example, what is the difference between a cage and a field? In my early studies of Animal Behavior, animals would exhibit ‘abnormal captive behaviors’ (repetitive pacing, emotional distress, boredom) if the space did not meet the satisfactions of the animal. Zoologists have been sensitive to this, and designed spaces that allow behavioral enrichment with toys, changed to a more natural geography, and incorporated social factors that mix species.

Therefore, three principles make themselves clear in designing and understanding space in terms of influencing human behavior:

-Biomimicry (natural patterns, movement, environmental sensations, refuge): As we are biological creatures, it behoves us to be aware of how biology itself moves, interacts and favors various conditions.

-Connectivity (facilitation of social interaction, diverse learning channels, primitive fulfillment): The ultimate "meaning" of the Place must include the connective nature involved in creation, innovation, cooperation.

-Design for Senses (light cycles, food/water scattering, concern for health, spiritual respect): This considers the network of senses that prove beneficial and therapeutic for environments we may seek to create. This is not just the what, but also the how.

Understanding the science behind these design elements can be used to drive behavior, and even goals of social change and human-centered advancement.

So if we are no longer feeling caged due to the physical environment, how do we socially construct a place where we can successfully tap into that shared potential? When working with students and teachers, in both India and Jordan, I was working within the physical boundaries of an existing classroom or school like most teachers all around the world. When we are redefining the space that they are familiarized with and have very little resources we had to create a new Place for them to enter by the way I or others interacted with them socially. So let’s think of a few tips that I’ve picked up along my way:

Welcoming: What is the student walking into? I distinctly remember the difference I felt when a teacher acknowledged me entering the classroom growing up. Whether it was shaking my hand at the door or saying my name within a phrase to welcome me into their space. When I was younger it was my reassurance that I had successfully entered the right classroom but it was also this sense of feeling that I was exactly where I was meant to be. Often on the road to finding our purpose we can find ourselves in waves of questioning if we are where we are supposed to be. So a little affirmation goes a long way!

Empowering: Let’s keep the momentum going. Positive language and the way we constantly communicate makes a huge difference. How do you ask a question? How do you acknowledge the right answer to a question? The wrong answer? How do you introduce a new activity or idea? It’s extremely important to make sure that you show appreciation and support for effort and that you amplify that power when speaking to others. The smallest key phrase can create a ripple effect for greatness. We all serve as constant team members in humanity and reassuring that you believe in someone and that you’re there to fan their flame speaks volumes. Think about how you would want someone to help inspire you when you find yourself stuck in one of life’s big questions. Now give that inspiration to others. This is what creates Place no matter where you are.

Creativity: Are you promoting discovery? Steve Jobs said that “creativity is just connecting things. When you ask creative people how they did something, they feel a little guilty because they didn’t really do it, they just saw something. It seemed obvious to them after a while. That’s because they were able to connect experiences they’ve had and synthesize new things.” When was the last time you felt like the answers were obvious?

Jason Silva explains creativity as our ability to expand probability and as the ability to reinvent or remix the present. He explains that “perfection is not just about control, it’s also about letting go.” He states that this is a creative flow where people shut down their lateral prefrontal cortex and they enter the “realm of the numinous, the realm of the imaginal, the realm where the dream becomes real.” We have to look at space and Place as a conduit for people to get into the creative zone.

One way that “Placemakers”, as leaders, facilitate this flow state is by taking the time to capitalize on the strengths of an individual. When working with others we must take a step back to watch those around us “do their thing.” Then as leaders bring everyone’s strengths together and then, just like that, you’re working with magic. Put this in the context of working with children and you just helped them feel like they can do anything.

Amman, Jordan; Kiera Murphy; Project CREATE Peace

THE VALUE OF SPACE




A report from the National Restaurant Association demonstrated that in an effort to reduce food waste, trash cans were removed from the use of chefs. The result? Chefs had to ask for permission to throw things away, and food waste was reduced dramatically.

Imagine you are on the first night of your honeymoon, and the hotel room in Bulgaria you step into has...separate beds. How many emotions and dollars are invested into mitigating this situation?

An office space separates their R&D and Marketing department to different sides of the office building, and creates more cubicle spaces. The company’s sales decrease by 34%!i(MISSING)n the next fiscal quarter.

What is the core theme behind all of these examples? We invest great and diversified quantities of value and emotion into Space. When an existing Place becomes disrupted, obvious changes in our perceived values and feelings of that change emerge. Space can be therefore looked at as a blank canvas; anything can be painted may be simple/complex, ugly/beautiful, colorful/bland, wide/narrow, or sold for $1/$1 billion.

<br style="margin-top: 0px;" />We are living in a reality where the equality and rights of actual space is propelled by economic inequality. However, I think that is exactly one of the reason’s why I have been drawn to the concept of Place. While working in grassroots development we don’t have millions of dollars to spend on fancy construction or tools to create a new space. Our value is in each other. The creation is free. We have to just change our perception of every space that we enter. Establishing Place can tap into the potential of individuals as well as our shared purpose to make a difference in making the world a better place.

The Girl Effect explains that the world is a messy place and it’s hard to argue that. With poverty, disease, hunger and war stretching the globe they also explain that the solution is free and it’s a girl. The Girl Effect, co-founded by the Nike Foundation, is a movement based on the unique potential of adolescent girls to end poverty for themselves and the world. It’s about getting girls on to the global development stage and driving massive resources to them. It is based on the common belief in the field of International Development that when given the opportunity, girls and women are more effective at lifting themselves and their families out of poverty, thereby having a multiplier effect within their villages, cities, and nations.

This is just one example of capitalizing on believing in someone enough to give them a chance to find their Place in making a difference.

Girl Effect Video:

">

THE FUTURE OF SPACE




Understanding the key effects and parameters of space, our collective narratives are moving towards what the space of the future is like. Embracing liberal and traditional concepts is key in order to advance societal productivity, while respecting existing foundations in which societies are originally built. We can change the entire ‘feel’ of a zoo, without tearing a zoo down to build a new zoo.

A familiar space to all, is the learning space. While not eliminating the classroom altogether, it is possible to combine newfound techniques of learning within a traditional frameset. The picture below is an excellent illustration of creating place for informal learning (computers), teaching (classroom front), social interaction (couch space), and flexibility (diversity, posters, windows, etc). While these specific elements need not be repeated, it is exemplary of the fact that “future space” is not so far into the future, and can easily be achieved by observing the needs of the inhabitants, and delivering to the desires of the users. With this applied to our schools, workplaces, and homes, we are bound to enter the new age of place.

What’s really exciting about the future of space is that anyone can be a part of the movement to help create Place for all of those around them in any corner of the world. Especially when it comes to educating our future generation. It’s been increasingly inspiring to work hand and hand with world changers who are Placemakers in their everyday lives. Your Place is acknowledged, appreciated and valued. Go team!

Hyderabad India; VOICE 4 Girls; Nema Etebar Photography

*This Blog Entry is a collaborative post by myself and Kiera Murphy, a dominant source of organizational and female empowerment, working with VOICE 4 Girls and Project CREATE Peace in Jordan. We're happy to come together as CLU alums to bring you a series of posts based on "Placemaking." To follow Kiera's journey please read her blog: https://peacebeneathherfeet.squarespace.com/



Advertisement



Tot: 0.096s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb