Bahir Dar


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Amhara Region » Bahir Dar
September 29th 2008
Published: October 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Addis to Bahir Dar


How to achieve rest and peace ;)How to achieve rest and peace ;)How to achieve rest and peace ;)

Some of the monasteries were closed to women
There is a lot top be said about expectations especially if they are not met. I read about the famous monasteries, which are dotted around the shoreline and islands of Ethiopia’s largest lake, Lake Tana. I imagined extensive compounds and large impressive decorated churches. Well there is non of that. The compounds are small and so are the churches. From outside they are unimpressive as there is virtually no decoration and they are mainly made out of wood, straw and mud. The decoration inside is slightly better and there are lots of paintings on the wall. Some of the paintings and churches date back to the 16th century, that’s at least one plus point.
Compared to anything that was done back home during that time it all fails to compare. The only thing that made my smirk was that the priests and monks are sometimes picky and women are not allowed in all monasteries. I assume that is to not tempt the priests to a more worldly life…

We also managed to visit the source of the Blue Nile. Why its called Blue Nile is a yet another mystery to me. At least when we were there it’s should have
This is one of the oldest and most important churches This is one of the oldest and most important churches This is one of the oldest and most important churches

Did I say the churches here are quite unimpressive?
been called Brown Nile. Luckily there were some spectacular falls to be seen and hiked around.

One thing that needs to be said about Bahir Dar is that it has great fruit juice and food. Both can be had at Café Obama. Yes the American presidential election has also an impact on Ethiopian restaurants, at least name wise. There was even an Obama Burger.
The fruit juices were also delicious and you can have the normal stuff like Mango but also something a bit more exotic. Avocado juice. Tastes better than it sounds. The Avocados are different to what we know and the whole thing looks like guacamole but has a sweeter banana taste and is damn delicious.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

BibleBible
Bible

Often heavily decorated and hand written. This one is a couple of hundred years old and made of goats skin
The church bellThe church bell
The church bell

Doesn’t look it but sounds like a bell
Yummy fruit juice in café ObamaYummy fruit juice in café Obama
Yummy fruit juice in café Obama

Mango, Avocado and Guava


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0314s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb