In Good Company


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region » Addis Ababa
July 28th 2010
Published: July 28th 2010
Edit Blog Post

(This one goes out to J - a fellow food lover who’s always up for trying new things.)

Ethiopian food can be incredibly spicy with large portions for sharing at very low prices. In the local joints, you can find their staple dishes for about a dollar or less. The main source of carbohydrates is injera, which is a huge spongy bread that serves as the platter for the entrees. It’s made from tef, which has been fermented for a few days and gives the bread its sour-like taste. It's very rich in fiber, calcium, and iron. The supply of injera is endless and always found pilled around your dish. FIRFIR is injera soaked in a stew (with or without meat) and wrapped with more injera. The dish is steaming hot and packaged in a clay pot - very convenient presentation when eating with your hands. SHIRO is chick peas that are finely grounded to resemble a yellow curry-like powder. Chopped onions are sautéed in the pan, then the shiro powder is added along with water. The liquid will simmer and butter is added and kept on the heat until it thickens. This is definitely one of the easier dishes to make, so I'll experiment with the powder when I get home. There are different options to choose from if you're a meat lover. TIBS comes in a variety of meats such as lamb (BEG), goat, chicken (DORO), or beef (SIGA). It’s served sizzling hot on a little clay-like platter with green peppers and onions. I like the charcoal-grilled taste of the meat. KITFO is minced meat (origins unknown) served with my favorite bread made from false-banana trees (KOCHO). I’m not really sure what I’m eating, but the various spices complement the meat very well. Beware of the SPECIAL KITFO though, it’s an elaborate spread with different GOMEN (spinach or some other vegetable) cheese, and a hot mustard sauce. It's special because it is often prepared raw. (Can you stomach that?!?) If not, try DORO WAT, which is spicy red sauce with one chicken leg and an egg - definitely too much for me to handle, but it's another specialty that is often only prepared during special occasions due to the complexity of the dish. The sauce is made from a special chile (BURBERY) that’s handpicked and sundried. The entire process of making doro wat is extremely tedious and long - it takes around 4 to 5 hours to complete.

Another great part about Ethiopian culture is the coffee ceremony. Coffee (BUNA) was originally discovered in Ethiopia after farmers noticed the cattles unusual behavior after accidentally consuming the beans. The smell of incense, roasting coffee beans, and freshly popped popcorn is very inviting to those passing by. It’s served in 3 separate rounds from raw coffee beans that are roasted over an open flame. The initial round is called ABOL, followed by HULET TENGNA and SOST TENGNA. Ethiopians really enjoy their time together and the coffee ceremony allows time for socializing - the entire process may take an hour or more so be patient. While waiting for the coffee, you can munch on popcorn and QOLO (baked barley that's so incredibly addictive). You really learn to appreciate the end result when you get a perfectly brewed cup of coffee. Don’t expect milk though - Ethiopians only take sugar with their coffee (several heaping spoonfuls of sugar!). I think the coffee is wonderful (and potent) just as it is though.

Other great (and authentic) food finds include Mediterranean, Korean, Indian, Italian and my absolute favorite - PANCAKES at this floral/café shop. There’s so much variety here..we’re never short of options. Food brings people together and I find myself delighted with fantastic company and meaningful conversations. It's been the perfect remedy.




Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0367s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb