Our House


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region » Addis Ababa
October 4th 2008
Published: October 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We were expecting to be assigned a one-bedroom house when we arrived and then we would look for something that would be adequate for 7 oversized Lithuanians. We had understood that because we have children, we would be sharing the cost of housing with our volunteer agency, and that we would have a say in where we lived. It was very important for us to live near work and school. Upon arrival a small house was provided for us with no negotiation. On the positive side, the house is new and clean and in a seemingly safe neighborhood with very pleasant landlords. It is enclosed by a sturdy gates, and there are several levels of security guards by the time you reach our house. Our neighbors include the Embassy staff from India, United Nations Development Program staff and Doctors without Borders staff. On the not-so-positive side, the house is cold, dark, and very far from work and school. Imagine living in a compact tiled-floor basement with a few small windows encased with bars. The house has no stove or heating. A somewhat modern cold-water-only kitchen serves basic needs. We use a continuously to boil/sterilize tap water for our family and helps with cooking meals. The electricity is shaky and almost all the plumbing leaks constantly, but, I guess, “This is Africa.”

Kovas’ bedroom has no window, no closet, and no furniture other than a bed. There is about 12 inches of room on one side of the bed and 3 feet at the foot of the bed until the wall. The other 2 kids’ bedrooms have a shelf and/or bedside table, but only one small 12 inch basement type of window. The journey from public transportation to the house is a weary 20 minute walk via either a rubble street or alongside nerve-wrackingly busy road. Getting to/from work and school is about an hour each way if we use public transportation.

A continued million thank yous to our friends in the US and the fundraisers - thanks to you, we have purchased extra hot plates, electricity stabilizers, pans, pots, blankets, sheets, plates, mugs, lamps, floor mats. VSO has provided a small refrigerator for our medicine, as well as other standard issues for the volunteers that are supported (that is for me, Ruta). We are appreciative of the items provided. Further, we’re appreciative to have housing - there are so many destitute people living on the streets that we are thankful to have a bed and shelter.

NOTE - the dial up connection speeds are atrociously slow. I have spent 45 min trying to load up pictures - unsuccessfully. I'll post the text and post the pictures later.


Advertisement



4th October 2008

wow
Ruta, it is .. hard to read about the conditions. I didn't image that they would be quite so bad. I think it's easy to romanticize Africa, you know? I was envisioning small light- filled grass hut with giraffes munching on the roof of palm fronds. :~) You are contantly in our prayers and thoughts. Thanks for the updates, we really look forward to them!

Tot: 0.182s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.1179s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb