Animals


Advertisement
Ethiopia's flag
Africa » Ethiopia » Addis Ababa Region » Addis Ababa
September 30th 2008
Published: September 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Kovas writing… The animals here are different from those in Chicago. I have yet to see a herd of 20 goats crossing a highway in Chicago. Here in the city of Addis Ababa, there are many dogs, cats, goats, donkeys, sheep, chickens, and the occasional raging bull running away from owner. Although we miss our dog, Zuza, at home, we can’t pet the dogs or cats because they might have rabies. There are so many dogs here, that it’s rare not to see at least 3 or 4 dogs on any trip you might take. Vasara isn’t as bummed out here in Africa as you would think because her favorite animal, a goat, is also everywhere where there is grass. We have unfortunately learned that goats are very loud. It is funny watching them trying to eat the dresses of unsuspecting women. My dad likes the donkeys. Usually you turn a corner and either see a pack of them (4-5) playing, or 1-2 of them carrying about 50-100 kilos. They also smell like crazy! ON one of our first days here, we were walking alongside the road, when Rytas excitedly exclaimed, “Look how close I am to this donkey!! It’s right by me!!” The sheep and chickens are usually just off to the side. A couple of times we have seen ox running at us away from its owner, which at the time seems a bit scary because those oxen are big and fast, but looking back it’s one of those funny moments in life.
We went to the Lion Zoo on Saturday which was very different from our normal Brookfield Zoo. Normally at a zoo you would expect to see at least 50 different types of animals, but this zoo only had about 6 species of animals. As the name suggests the main attraction was lions. There were about 15 lions in the middle of the zoo. These lions are native only to Ethiopia. They are smaller than average lions and their manes are dark black. You could pay extra to get close to the lions. We saw a very young kid about a foot away from an eating lion. The other animals were geese, monkeys, a cheetah, a bird that looked like a parrot, and rabbits. It was very funny to us that at our zoo the geese are free to go where they please, while the monkeys are in cages. Here in Ethiopia the monkeys were free while the geese were in cages. Also, the rabbits got as much or more room in their cages than the cheetah.


Advertisement



2nd October 2008

house address??
oh kovai!!.. i miss ya man... hahah do you have a address for your house????? if you do can you send it to my email.. ill be your bestest cousin forever!!!!! myliu myliu myliu myliu myliu myliu myliu myliu myliu myliu.....xoxoxoxoxo -you favorite new Mexican cousin(who if you think about it isn't so far away... =) ) vaiva!!!!!!!
2nd October 2008

Keep 'em coming!
Labas Kulbiukai! As jus taip pasiilgstu, net dar daugiau negu paprastai - gal nes jus esat toliau! Man taip idomu skaityti jusu blog, as kasdien patikrinu. Meldziuos uz jus ir bandau sugalvoti kaip as galeciau jus aplankyti! MYLIU! Lina

Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0397s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb