Short stop Cape Verde Islands, Mindelo


Advertisement
Cape Verde's flag
Africa » Cape Verde » São Vicente
January 18th 2016
Published: January 21st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Mindelo, Cape Verde Islands

The westernmost promontory of Africa, Cape Verde gives its name to the group of islands almost 400 miles to the west. Mindelo, is the main town of St Vincent with picturesque and colourful Portuguese colonial buildings. Cape Verde became independent in 1975 from the Portuguese. The islands have led a chequered history, for along time the economy of the islands was based on little else but the slave trade, the islands being on the route from West Africa to the New World. Nowadays the economy depends on the airport on Sal, the port facilities in Mindelo and agriculture. Coffee and bananas are the main exports, with salt being produced on the island do Sal. Fishing is a flourishing industry and a by product from the volcanoes is exported to make cement.

Arrived here at midday on Sunday. Beautiful day as we berthed and we had about five hours here before heading across the South Atlantic to Salvador, Brazil. Mindelo is a natural deep water harbour and it was about a 15 minute walk into town or to the beach. We are back here in early May, so will have further time to explore.
We now have 4 sea days to Brazil


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0379s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb