To Heck with Camping!


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Okavango Delta
September 17th 2012
Published: September 17th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Debbie and I were originally booked on a camping safari through Botswana. I'm sure it would have been enjoyable, but when it was cancelled we transferred to an accommodated tour. And have been living it up in luxury since!

Everywhere we've stayed has been at least three star, mostly four. And most of the safari lodges we've stayed in have had beautiful architecture with soaring timber and thatched ceilings in the common areas and very comfortable individual bungalows or, in one case, permanent tents. And beautiful buffet food laid on ... as Debbie said several times 'to heck with camping'!?

Our favourite place by far was a georgeous remote accommodation called Moremi Crossing in the heart of the Okavango Delta in Botswana. We had to fly in and out on light aircraft, and got met by boat which took us to our accommodation up channels of the delta. There was wildlife all around including through the camp (which is great except when it involved elephants crashing and breaking branches metres from our canvas tents raised on timber decks in the middle of the night). We had a fabulous three night stay in Moremi Crossing, which had a perfect ending as two elephants came to the sandy airstrip to see us off!

Chobe Safari Lodge in northern Botswana was another wonderful place. Much bigger and busier, but the grounds of the hotel had monkeys, mongoose and warthogs roaming freely. Probably a hassle for the staff, but it added to the wildlife experience for us!

I'm writing this now in Johannesburg as our tour has ended ... off to Cape Town tomorrow.

Love to all, Alison.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb