Day 3 - Palapye To Kasane


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Kasane
August 26th 2019
Published: August 26th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Day 3 started with a cheekly little lie in until 5. Away from Palapye by 5:45 and heading north again, this time to our final destination in Botswana, Kasane. Leaving early gave us an opportunity to see another amazing sunrise and within a couple of hours we were tucking into a Wimpy breakfast in Francistown. After Francistown the landscape became more and more African with endless grassy savanahs either side, absolutely stunning. The traffic was extremely light with the majority of other traffic being intermittent lorries heading south presumably back to Gaberone and South Africa.



Reaching Nata after about 4 hours we stopped for fuel and a wee in probably the least disirable toilets you've ever seen, fortunately though Reet had bought wet wipes, a flannel and soap. After Nata the A3 trurns west and we joined the A33 north and the fun really starts. We were no more than 20km out of Nata and I spotted the first road sign, Reet didn't believe me when I told her what I'd seen so I found another one and took a photo. 10km after that there he/she was, tucked in the bushes was our first ever sighting of a proper Elephant in the "WILD" and it was magical. Sat and watched for ages as it stared at us but all it was keen on doing was hiding under a tree for shade in the 30+ heat. We continued north with the road skirting the Zimbabwe border, spotting various interesting things along the way until about 40km from Kasane we spotted our second Elephant. It is so humbling to see these magnificent creatures in the wild, it's just a shame the've been driven out of so many African counties.



Arriving at the hotel we were greeted with the most amazing view of the Chobe River. Great place, just been taken over called the Big 5 Chobe Lodge and it's literally on the banks of the river. Rounded the day off watching an incredible sunset across the Chobe River.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



28th August 2019

Mate, it sounds amazing Sounds like a great adventure xx

Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 11; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1mb