Day trip to Chobe


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Chobe National Park
June 14th 2007
Published: June 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Day trip to Chobe

 Africa » Botswana » Chobe National Park By BJ
June 14th 2007
Brian Johnson
On Tuesday we headed over the border to Botswana on an organised tour to visit the Chobe where elephants are supposedly in the greatest number than any other part of Africa. After an hour's drive and border formalities we started a cruise down the Chobe River. The area is rich in bird life but it was the big animals we came to see. No sign of elephants but we meandered gently past many hippo's and croc's in the water, and saw plently of other wildlife on the shore. It was on our way back that we caught our 1st elephant sighting.....one of many. After lunch we set off on a driving safari where we saw heaps of elephants up close, giraffe's, buffalo, impala, kudu, baboons, and mongoose. The only sign of "cats" was a couple of impala's with chunks of flesh missing and fresh blood which no doubt would have attracted the hyenas later.

On the return home we stopped at the point where the Chobe river flows from the Zambezi, also doubling as the border of 4 countries...Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe. A long day but well worthwhile.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



14th June 2007

You sure its feeding?
Hey BJ - are you sure that baby elephant is feeding. Cast you mind back to your real life and think about where the milky bits are on a cow - arent they in the same sorta place on a elephant??!!??
14th June 2007

oh to be young and free !!!!!!
14th June 2007

Lucky Devils
We are green with envy!! Hope you are both well!
15th June 2007

Yaye
Great to hear you guys are enjoying the holiday. Would love to be there with you. Take care and know you will make the most of it.Lucky our worms aren't big enough to eat aye BJ
15th June 2007

Elephants are not cows!
Yeah...I was a little confused at 1st too but when the lil fella finished there was definately something there worth sucking :)
15th June 2007

NZ worms.....
Hmmmmmm...Mopani would be the equilavent of our huhu (whowho?) grubs but I wouldn't believe they taste like fish - I was conned!
15th June 2007

Happy croc?
Just how good a zoom have you got on that camera buddy? Not doing a "Steve Irwin" there were yuh?
16th June 2007

welldun
U enjoy BJ as its cold here but you can tell your Canadian friends they put a good fight up in the rugby. Enjoy while you can.
17th June 2007

speechless...
and i have no more to say on the matter (well, ok, just a little bit to say!) Am amazed at your photos and diary - sounds like you are having a fantastic time. the photos speak for themselves. look forward to reading the next chapter.
25th June 2007

Happy croc.....
No zoom required for that pic. We coulda stepped off boat and patted on the head ;)

Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb