Camping, heat and over 20 different lions, it's Chobe National Park time!


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » North-West » Chobe National Park
October 25th 2021
Published: November 4th 2021
Edit Blog Post

I have to admit, we may not jump continents every quarter anymore, but I'm still solid late with my blogging. Travel is a state of mind...and when it's not easy to cross oceans, you always have some cool places to visit closer to home. I was fortunate enough to visit Victoria Falls area close to ten years ago...but Tanya hasn't done it yet. Last time, it was an in and out short trip mainly to the Falls. So today, the priority is actually about Chobe National Park in Botswana...a first for both of us!



Covid means less flights in the region. British Airways is back to Victoria Falls from Joburg....but that's it. Airlink fly all over the place, but in small planes. The reality of it...once your expected flight on Airlink is slightly full...the price of your airline tickets jump to crazy levels. So we went last minute and the secure financial way was...BA to Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe. From there, Kasane in Botswana is just over 100kms away, and crossing the border is actually super easy. So we left our hotel in the morning in Joburg...decent breakfast in the lounge....short of 2 hours flight to Zimbabwe....and by 3pm we are in our hotel in Kasane. I chose the Cresta Mowana on the simple base that they host also the only 9 holes golf course of the area...and the place to my first ever round of golf in Botswana....the super basic 9 holes has the fairways mowed by the local wildlife! I only lost 5 balls in the first 7 holes....but yes, it was solid fun! Dinner was an easy affair at the hotel. Basic pizza and local beer by the Chobe river for sunset, simple and simply beautiful!



Next day, 8.45am, is the pick up by Kalahari tours at the hotel for our 3 days of touring Chobe park. What an experience!! October is the best period for animal viewing in Chobe. The rain is coming only mid-november. So the land is dry, super dry and during day time, it's just around 37 or 38 degrees. So it's hot, very hot! But this means no high grass...and animals are getting by the thousands to the river for the water!



We booked 3 days, 2 nights camping with Kalahari Tours. Contact Kirstin, I can only have good words about her and her team. It's basic....but the food is great, everything is clean, the guides do know their job. Great experience!



We had two river cruises, one the first morning and one the last afternoon. This is a very relax and great fun way to get very close to a lot of elephants, hyppos and few crocodiles! Than we had an afternoon drive...a full day driving in Chobe ( minus lunch and nap at the camp) and a final morning drive.



We spotted a total of over 22 different lions. The pictures do speak for themselves. What a stay...it was hot. I have to admit, we are well trained about this with our past lives in Asia. But it was so fun and so beautiful. We shared our first day with few other tourists...but the last 2 days...the place was ours! Private camp, private rides...nice!



Next...to the Falls...


Additional photos below
Photos: 90, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0372s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb