We've Come a Long Way


Advertisement
Botswana's flag
Africa » Botswana » Central
October 8th 2011
Published: June 17th 2017
Edit Blog Post

01 Warning Sign01 Warning Sign01 Warning Sign

This is where we were going to stop to eat our KFC- until we read the sign!
Geo: -19.9295, 26.1186

This morning we left at 5:15am. Last night Neil and Claudine came over and the four of us packed our cars to the brim. We were going to Zimbabwe via Victoria Falls. For the trip we had to be self sufficient – our cars were so full. On the drive out of Madikwe we saw a couple of white rhinos, a brown hyena and a journey of giraffe.

We exited the reserve at Derdepoort Gate and a couple of hundred meters down the road we were at the Derdepoort/Kopfontein border which borders South Africa and Botswana. The border opened at 6am and we were the first ones there. We passed through the border very quickly – now we were in Botswana. Luckily our car was not checked- it was full of things that could have been confiscated. The currency here is Pula. Petrol is much cheaper here than South Africa, so at the first petrol station we filled up the vehicles as well as our jerry cans.

Our next stop was Francistown. Here we bought some food to eat on the road and again filled the cars up with petrol. The drive was very quiet and pretty boring- the
02 Resting02 Resting02 Resting

The guys having a break from driving.
road is virtually straight and many termite mounds all around. Along the way we saw people selling firewood and thatch along the road. There were also a couple of road blocks along the way that were checking mainly for meat, luckily we were not stopped.

During mid-afternoon we arrived at Nata. From here we saw signs warning us of elephants on the road. Game Reserves in Botswana are not fenced, which is a bit exciting. Unfortunately we did not see any elephants on the road today, but we did see a flock of seven wild ostriches.

About 51km from the town of Nata, we arrived at our destination for the evening. We were staying at Elephant Sands, which has been recommended by friends. We arrived at 4:30pm, had a Springbok shooter (Amarula and peppermint liqueur) at the bar and quickly set up our tent. Then it was time to jump into the pool for a cooling down, it had been a hot day.

We bought some drinks from the bar and jumped in the pool. The swim was so refreshing, just what we needed. We sat around the fire at the waterhole enjoying sundowners in the hope that animals would come
03 Elephant Sands03 Elephant Sands03 Elephant Sands

The place where we are staying for the night.
down to drink. This campsite/lodge was unfenced, so there was a great chance of seeing animals.

We spent the evening sitting around the fire enjoying some drinks. That night we had a great night's sleep in our tent, it was so warm, that we didn't put the fly sheet on. From our bed we could see the stars above us through the mesh.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

04 Termites04 Termites
04 Termites

A huge termite mound.
05 Standing Next to it05 Standing Next to it
05 Standing Next to it

I am standing next to the termite mound.
06 Our Campsite 06 Our Campsite
06 Our Campsite

Our campsite for the night which is open to all wild animals to walk through.
07 Cheers07 Cheers
07 Cheers

A drink at the bar to celebrate our arrival after a long day of driving.
08 Waterhole08 Waterhole
08 Waterhole

The waterhole at Elephant Sands.
09 Waterhole09 Waterhole
09 Waterhole

The waterhole at Elephant Sands.
10 Waterhole10 Waterhole
10 Waterhole

The waterhole at Elephant Sands.
11 Us11 Us
11 Us

Paul and I at the waterhole after being for a swim in the pool.


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 29; dbt: 0.036s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb