Skiing on Kopaonik, Serbia


Advertisement
Europe » Serbia » South
March 1st 2008
Published: July 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Kopaonik (Serbian: Копаоник) is one of the biggest mountain ranges of Serbia. It is located in the central part of Serbia. Its highest peak is 2,017 metres above sea level, Pančić's Peak. Kopaonik's national park was established in 1981. The national park's area is 118.1 km², and is spread over the central part of the Kopaonik plateau.

Sports and recreation are key factors to the tourism of Kopaonik. Kopaonik is mainly a destination for skiing and snowboarding. There are various other activities as well, such as tennis. Other features which attract tourists are a luxurious hotel, and entertainment. Kopaonik has many cafes, bars and night clubs. It has 24 ski-lifts and gondoles,with 70 km of ski slopes for all categories.It is the largest mountain in Serbia, more than 100 km long. Its highest peak is Suvo Rudiste (also called Panćić's Peak) at 2,017 metres above sea level. The duration and quality of snowfall and ideal skiing grounds have been attracting a rapidly increasing the number of guests.

Kopaonik's flora is characterized by a large number of autochthonous plant species (the Balkan beech, fir, spruce, yew, several kinds of maple, pine and oak). The fauna is also diverse but its concentration varies, depending on the quality of the habitat.

This mountain has enormous resources for the development of tourism. The entire park is characterised by its extraordinary natural beauty: vast expanses of grassland, picturesque forests composed of a wide variety of tree species, beauty spots, deep river gorges. The snow blanket lasts a long time on this mountain and in view of its good relief, there are excellent conditions for the further expansion of winter tourism there.

The tourist resort on the Kopaonik includes hotels, rest houses, chairlifts, excellent ski slopes and many other tourist facilities.

The Kopaonik is well-connected with the main transport routes in Serbia. The central part of Kopaonik with the tourist center and ski slopes are linked with the Ibar highway, and the nearest international airport is in Niš.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Salash restaurant Salash restaurant
Salash restaurant

Very good local specialities, good place for dinner


Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0371s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb