New Year in Ulsan!


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Ulsan
January 6th 2009
Published: January 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We decided to spend New Year visiting some friends we had made during the EPIK orientation back in August.

Travelling around Korea is actually surprisingly easy by bus. We took the bus from Chuncheon to Ulsan and after 6hrs we arrived into the bus terminal. After meeting the ladies we were visiting we all went for a McDonalds. They live about 40 minutes by bus from the new downtown and arriving at their apartment I realised how massive mine really is! I honestly dont know where I would keep everything! After about three hours of catching up we planned for the next couple of days and then hit the hay.

One of the most important things on our to-do list was a trip to Home Plus. So most of the day time on New Years' Eve was spent in Home Plus. We were surprised by how little celebration there was in town for New Years Eve. We had a meal out and had planned to spend the evening in a Western pub called Benchwarmers. Arriving there at about 10.30pm we were expecting the party to be in full swing. This was totally not the case. We had a drink and left. I think there were four other people in there and at least three were staff. So we decide to call it a night and head home for a few games of cards. Waiting for the last 827 bus we realise it has dissapeared from the digital map they have at every bus stop. So 30 minutes standing in the cold was totally unnessary.

My first trip with Korail took place on New Years' Day. The ladies suggested we all go down to Haeundae Beach. After a surprisingly short train ride we arrive and I see the ocean for the first time in months! Having spent three years working on a cruise ship prior to coming to Korea I feel that the ocean and I have a connection and I still miss the way that it rocks your bed! Haeundae is a beautiful little beach town and apart from the icy wind was a fantastic day as well. Lunch was enjoyed in TGI Fridays. A walk around the streets, a look in a few shops and some photo taking on the beach and then time to head back.

On our final day in Ulsan we decided to hit the long main street of new downtown and do some shopping. Coming from such a remote place here in Korea - shopping has become something that is truly exciting. We walked about 3km up this road and passed a Kolon Sport with a 70% sale on Timberland products!

The five days in Ulsan were great and it was good to see some of the people we had met during the orientation week.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb