UAE hiking season late 2023


Advertisement
Published: May 19th 2024
Edit Blog Post

The 2023-2024 hiking season was pretty busy for me. Not only was I training for Mt Kilimanjaro, but the options available in the UAE continue to improve. I made a list of hikes that I wanted to do and did as many I could while in country. I was just going to do one blog post, but I did a lot so I've split it into two. Mostly I tried to do a new one each time but there a few repetitions over the season.

Fossil Rock

3.3 miles, 200m elevation gain

One of the most popular hikes in UAE, and one of the closest to Dubai, many people trek here at sunset. There are great views from the rock outcrops over the sand dunes toward the sunset. We went in the morning, and I was so happy to finally be able to do this hike, which had been high on my list for a long time. There is no clearly marked trail and we wound up rock climbing along a ridge before hiking up along a larger, slightly inclined flat rock. It was a great day with my friends and the views did not disappoint!

Al Rabi hike

3.3 miles, 350m elevation gain

This is one that I really like and it's also one of the most popular. It is situated in Khor Fakkan on the east coast with amazing views over the city and port. There's also a historical element with a watchtower at the start of the hike. There are two peaks for you summit, not super high elevation though.

I did this one a few times, mainly because it is quite a steep hike up covering a short distance. I always see a few guys running out briskly walking up and down the steep trail. So this was a good one for training.

Rasifah Dam - The Walk

About 1.5 miles, 200m elevation gain

This is a fairly new location. I think it opened in spring 2023, at least, that's when I noticed it. There is a large dam on the road leading to Khor Fakkan and they have made it into a park essentially. You can rent paddle boats, eat at the restaurants, see the nearby watchtowers and hike up the Walk. I noticed this path from driving past as it is a lot of switchbacks cutting into the slope. I actually like it. If you come early, it's not too hot, great views and pretty easy to park. The area is getting more crowded now, which is good for business.

I've done this three times now I think, but just the short version. There are benches all the way up to catch your breath. I do take a plastic bag with me because sometimes there is quite a bit of trash which frustrates me. You reach the first peak at about 1 mile distance, but you can continue onto the Suhub Rest area which is located above the city and most people drive up to. That's about a 9km hike out and back. I had planned for it this season, but it did not happen.

Additionally, there is a refurbished heritage village nearby, Najd Al Maqsar, which is located at an old village site. There are multiple buildings to demonstrate how the village would be set up, as well as the well and watchtower at the top. I go early so it was not officially open when I visited, but you can still walk through the village and to the top of the watchtower.

Al Bithnah Fort and Nature Walk

3 miles, 200m elevation gain

One of my favourites. It's very versatile. It can be easy or moderate - kids and older people can do the loop, but you can add a challenge by walking up the slope. I'll discuss more in my next post, but I took a friend of mine here who was recovering from a broken ankle and this would be her first hike in months. We walked along the nature walk but also up the trail to the overtook of the entire village and valley. It was a great view!

Rainbow Valley - Fujairah

4 miles, 300m+ elevation gain

This is another popular hike during the season and I went with two friends to try it out. It is actually a fairly easy hike up a wadi to the rainbow rock formations. We did this in October and there was only a little water, but the colors were phenomenal. We only did about 6.5km, but you go further and hike up the hills for great views. On the way out, we met a guide who worked at Fujairah Adventures who asked us about our experience. He warned us about hiking too far as the border between UAE and Oman is close by. He was so nice and encouraged us to provide feedback. I like Fujairah Adventures - you'll see them a lot in my hikes as they have well marked trails throughout the mountains of varying difficulties and experiences.

Al Ghayl hike - Al Kalba dam

4.75 miles, 400m elevation gain

This was one I had found by looking on Google maps and I really enjoyed it. I have not been since they opened up the new park adjacent to it in April. It seems like the trail system may be slightly different. I'll check again in the fall.

Here, I parked at the Kalba Dam and started my trek clockwise, walking along the dam at the start. There was a little water in it, though I'm sure now it's full! It was a fairly steep hike up to the first peak, which overlooks the city and mangrove areas. The sunrise was also great. There was quite a bit of trash, mostly empty water and juice bottles, so I took out my trash bag and collected what I could. There was a lot more left.

This was only a third of the way thru the hike. For the next 90 minutes about it was down and up and down then fairly straight. There was one area of steep steps carved into the rock. You could see the new park they were building though at the time I did not know what it was - turns out the excavation was for a lake near the hanging gardens. Got to the second peak a bit further in but didn't stay. I just wanted to get to my car. The way down from here was not as steep but it was a long, winding path. All in all, it was a terrific, peaceful hike!

Seven Summits - Fujairah

1.5miles, 80m elevation gain

This is a short easy hike that I wanted to do after driving past it a few times. I combined it with the Al Bidya hike (below). The day I visited it was raining and very early, but honestly that worked well. I was the only one there and I would rather bad weather on a shorter hike. This path was created by Fujairah Adventures and is right as you enter the city. There are 7 small watchtowers that represent the seven Emirates. It's quite easy, great for kids, especially if you do an out and back; the way to the bottom at the opposite end can be a bit tricky.

The only thing I would recommend for this place is that each tower have just a short history of each emirate. Right now they are just small stone structures, but it would be nice if they were interactive.

Al Bidya walk

0.6 miles, 60m elevation gain

After the Seven Summits hike, I drove up the coast post the Al Bidya mosque, the oldest in the UAE at over 500 years. It was closed when I drove by, so I went to the entrance to a short hike along the ridge above the mosque. It was still cloudy and misty but so peaceful. There is a nice path which includes some minor ruins here too. After I went back past the mosque it was open and I got to go in and see it. It was lovely and such a unique structure that is still in use.


Additional photos below
Photos: 43, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



21st May 2024
Early morning sunrise

UAE
We haven't been to Dubai since 2007. I'd like to return and see some of the countryside and all of the Emirates.

Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0294s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb