Welcome to the Travel Forums

Why join TravelBlog?

  • Membership is Free and Easy
  • Your travel questions answered in minutes!
  • Become part of the friendliest online travel community.
Join Now! Join TravelBlog* today and meet thousands of friendly travelers. Don't wait! Join today and make your adventures even more enjoyable.

* Blogging is not required to participate in the forums

Year Abroad in Argentina

Canadian completing his third year of university in Argentina. Needs help and advice making preparations (documents, visa, supplies, etc.)
12 years ago, January 13th 2007 No: 1 Msg: #9843  
B Posts: 22
Hi All,

Any Canadians out there that have plowed through the bureaucracy and have gone to study in Argentina? Even if you are from another country, can you give me any tips?

Was the process straightforward when you got a visa? Did you need to get any immunizations? Did you need to get certain cards (ISIC, etc.)?

Is there any certain process you recommend that I start very early in advance?

Does anybody recommend a certain airline? Are there supplies I should definitely buy before I leave?

Thanks in advance. Reply to this

12 years ago, January 14th 2007 No: 2 Msg: #9858  

I'm an Australian who is doing a student exchange near Cordoba this year. I've been told the system has only just been changed, and I don't know if it’s the same for Canadians but in short

a. Enter Argentina on a tourist visa, carrying

A valid passport (no less than 15 months validity with at least 2 completely blank pages),

A police clearance with a finger print check from the police station in a city where you have lived for the past 5 years which needs to legalised by the department of foreign affairs and then translated into Spanish

An original birth certificate also legalised and issued in the country of origin, and translated into Spanish

b. While in Argentina get

Official letter of enrolment at school/university, must be the original, no faxes accepted

A student exchange program certifying by the organising educational institution in argenitna(I don't know how this ones going to work for you?)

a police clearance issued by the argentine federal police department or registro nacional de reincidencia

c. Apply for visa in 30 days

You don’t get any originals back, the visa costs AU$300 (which is ___ in Canada), translation of documents costs approximately AU$100 a page, and any information displayed on the argentine embassy website is supposed to be incorrect

So no the process certainly doesn't look straight forward, I definitely think you should start NOW, and my host parents seem to think you can buy everything in Argentina cheaper although always take at least 3 good books in English, and clearly a lot of patience for the bureaucracy

Have fun….
Reply to this

12 years ago, January 14th 2007 No: 3 Msg: #9860  
sorry forgot to mention that foreign students can't open a bank account in argentine banks, transferring money from a non-argentine bank to an argentine bank is very expensive

We are reccomended to bring a credit or bank card, although I'm also taking cash pasport thingy by travelex, mind you i do get the cash pasport for free, but it certainly seems reasonbly viable Reply to this

12 years ago, January 15th 2007 No: 4 Msg: #9903  
B Posts: 22
Wow, thanks for the info Sally, that's great.

So how come you couldn't get your Student Visa issued in Australia, and then enter Argentina with that Visa?

Also, you said that you need a "police clearance with a finger print check from the police station in a city where you have lived for the past 5 years which needs to legalised by the department of foreign affairs and then translated into Spanish". Does it absolutely have to be legalised by the department of foreign affairs? I spoke with a contact in the department and they said that yes, they could/would do it, but that it is unusual?

So I guess you are just using your Australian ATM Card, and taking out money like that?

I'll digest the info you provided, but I'll probably be posting more specific questions soon, haha!
Thx Reply to this

12 years ago, January 16th 2007 No: 5 Msg: #9923  
yo, all your questions shall be answered (my work is VERRY BORING!!!)

i have no clue why the visa can't be issued in australia/canada but if you really want to know i would advice you to contact the argentine consulate

as for legalisation by the department of foreign affairs, it's all a little hazy. my orginisation has told me that the police clearance needs to be legalised by department of foriegn affairs (dfat) with the apostille, but the birth certificate can be legalised by the competent authories with the apostille stamp or by the argentine consulate of that country. SOOO I'm guessing you could get both documents legalised by the argenine consulate, although, again check with them.

money, money, money: a former exchange students to argentina claims that she did just used t an atm card, but i think i'll prefer to use the tracelex, which she recomended as i can with draw money in the local currency, not to mention, due to the program i have really low fees...ha ha (or ja ja) so i'd work it out.

n.b- i 've been strongly adviced not to use travellers checks

also , in order for my enrollment at the school i had to have a polo, dpt and or/ tp, hep b, mealses, mumps, rubella (mmr) injections as well as a mantoux test (tuberculin skin test), and in terms of the airline go for the cheapest possible, hell you're a student and you need to have travelling tales which can match those from your parents generation of flying on russian and chinese air...

feel free to ask away it gives me something to do between filing and data entry

sally Reply to this

12 years ago, January 23rd 2007 No: 6 Msg: #10145  
B Posts: 22
Tracelex card?? I'm intrigued. Reply to this

12 years ago, January 31st 2007 No: 7 Msg: #10386  

it's kinda like a bank account except the fees are lower and when you can withdraw the money in local currency

it's good apparrently, but then again i can hardly tell the difference between an atm, credit, and visa card.... Reply to this

12 years ago, February 6th 2007 No: 8 Msg: #10520  
Surely no matter what card you use (debit/credit/travelex) the money you withdraw is the local currency?
Or am I getting confused?! Reply to this

12 years ago, February 6th 2007 No: 9 Msg: #10523  
actually you're right ruth from wales

i mean it would be pretty stupid if i was using my australian credit card to withdraw funds from the machine in argentina and they were in australian dollars

if anyone has anymore of a clue as to how to handle money overseas please let me know!! Reply to this

12 years ago, March 10th 2007 No: 10 Msg: #11750  
B Posts: 22
well when I went to Bolivia, most bank machines gave the option to withdraw funds in either American dollars or the local currency. But for sure they will dispense money in the local currency. Reply to this

12 years ago, March 12th 2007 No: 11 Msg: #11809  
B Posts: 138
as for ISIC cards, definitely get one because your regular student card doesn't count for much. It comes in handy and saves money at museums, etc.

as for immunizations, do a google search on World Health Organization Travel Advsory . It should tell you all the information you need and its the same info that you doctor would tell you (I think they get it from that website). Most things you can get your local doctor back home to prescribe for you. Others like japanese encephilitis and yellow fever, you may need to go to your local travel clinic to get and pay the $40 consult fee to get it.

I agree with Sally, travellers cheques are horrible. You get slammed in your home country with service fees just to convert and when you go to a bank, they charge you again to convert into the local currency plus they give you a lower exchange rate. Stick with debit and credit card (but make sure your daily withdrawal limits are high enough. Otherwise, you might be making collect calls from the country to your bank at home convincing them to increase your $50 withdrawal debit rate per day) - be sure to get your bank's numbers too. The 1-800 numbers they give you don't work outside north america which isn't helpful when you're stranded without money.

I would try to get a credit card that works like a debit, so if its stolen they can't rack up your credit card. Otherwise, put some money on your credit card so it works like debit and they just keep taking money off of it each month. Other than that, get your parents to look over your bank account and transfer money monthly (internet banking) and make sure your credit card bills are paid in time.

As for travelsupplies dannyboy, depends what you want to know. whether its handy gadgets or things that will make your luggage a lot lighter (believe me, space and weight count. you don't want to haul 70L on your back). Reply to this

12 years ago, March 14th 2007 No: 12 Msg: #11888  
B Posts: 16
Although not a popular option, you don't even have to get a visa if you don't want to. I have heard of people that live in Argentina, mainly Buenos Aires, who just live off the 90 day tourist visa. Near the end of the 90 days you can just hop the border to Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia or Chile, many choices, and then return on the same day even and get another 90 days. Obviously it's not the most convenient option, but if a visa is expensive or hard to get for you, it's an option Reply to this

10 years ago, February 19th 2009 No: 13 Msg: #63514  
anybody know of the requirements of entering argentina on a return flight leaving 9 months after my arrival date
I want to travel and return to Buenos aires (i got a cheap return flight) or do you need to prove you are leaving before your visitor permit expires ?????? Reply to this

10 years ago, September 10th 2009 No: 14 Msg: #85876  
Yeah, Bernie D, me and two friends are doing it that way... It is what our university in england instructed us to do! Should be sweet - leaving in 5 days cant wait!! Reply to this

Tot: 2.166s; Tpl: 0.048s; cc: 6; qc: 105; dbt: 0.2806s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb