Welcome to the Travel Forums

Why join TravelBlog?

  • Membership is Free and Easy
  • Your travel questions answered in minutes!
  • Become part of the friendliest online travel community.
Join Now! Join TravelBlog* today and meet thousands of friendly travelers. Don't wait! Join today and make your adventures even more enjoyable.

* Blogging is not required to participate in the forums

Backpackers travel insurance

recommendations needed on travel insurance that will cover me for a year of backpacking.
10 years ago, June 10th 2010 No: 1 Msg: #112923  
N Posts: 7
Hello all.

I've been searching for weeks, trying to find the best travel insurance out there that offers the cover I need, and isn't going to cost me a fortune. So far the best I've found is £332 on multitrip.com for 1 year - and will cover me on all the activities I intend to do. Surely there must be better out there??

If you know of any better sites I can check out please let me know!

cheers! Reply to this

10 years ago, June 11th 2010 No: 2 Msg: #112938  
Travelblog recommends World Nomads

The benefits of them are that you can extend your cover as you go. So if you leave for 3 months and end up staying away for years, you can just keep extending your policy. You can also claim from abroad, whereas other policies only let you claim once you get home.

They also cover a lot of different activities that you could end up doing while backpacking....

I don't know about multitrip.com but make sure you are not buying 1 year multitrip cover, as this just covers you for x amount of trips in one year, not for a full year of travelling. Often multitrip policies only let you be away for so many days per year. Check it's the right one before you buy it.

Hope this helps

Reply to this

10 years ago, June 11th 2010 No: 3 Msg: #112968  
N Posts: 7
I'll be going all over World incl USA (not UK) Reply to this

10 years ago, June 12th 2010 No: 4 Msg: #113053  

I'd second World Nomads. They are expensive but something like insurance is not worth skimping on. Their policy also covers adventure sports.. not all but a vast majority so you don't have to keep worrying about if you are insured for this or that activity.

We claimed with them a few times while we were away and they dealt with it all quickly and efficiently taking just a few weeks to recover our money.

From memory we insured ourselves for around 12 months initially and didn't see much change from £300 each. Reply to this

10 years ago, June 14th 2010 No: 5 Msg: #113205  

We used Ace for our travel insurance...

Ace Insurance

They were pretty competitive... eg. £203 for 12 months wordlwide cover including the USA. They allow pretty much all sports and activities but the excesses work out more expensive the riskier the activity.

This was perfect for us as we only did winter sports for two days and I was reluctant to bump my insurance price right up just for these two days...

Now if you think that's expensive try insuring a family with two babies for a years travel... That's what I'm investigating now and having palpitations! 😱 Reply to this

10 years ago, June 15th 2010 No: 6 Msg: #113242  
It says that you have to be a UK resident for Ace Insurance. World Nomads is good, if you use the promo code "WNFACE" (only works for non US/Canadian residents) you will get 10% off the quote. I used STA/QBE insurance last year and was not too happy with it, they cost twice as much as World Nomads would have, and they were not very helpful when I had to make claims. Reply to this

10 years ago, December 23rd 2010 No: 7 Msg: #125185  

Its really tough to get best travel quotes ;-). The best way what I find is to discuss with the people who have already used the travel insurance so that you can get an exact view of the quotes that are surviving in the market.

Reply to this

10 years ago, December 26th 2010 No: 8 Msg: #125356  
N Posts: 5
in australia, some of the banks offer free travel insurance if u buy yout tickets with there card and hold your bank accoutns(obviously) with them. might be worth checking this option out as well Reply to this

8 years ago, September 11th 2012 No: 9 Msg: #160899  
B Posts: 46
It's true that it's easy to extend World Nomads insurance while on the road. I took out a policy for over a year, and extended it out to 18 months.

The issue I found with this insurance is that cancellation cost were only claimable if the transport had been booked before I left home.

We all know that if you are on the road for over 6 months, you are unlikely to have booked everything before you leave.

Sophie and Dale, what were the items that you claimed for while you were away?

I'm off again in 3 weeks for another year, and need to decide whether to stay with World Nomads for this trip or not. Reply to this

8 years ago, September 19th 2012 No: 10 Msg: #161176  
Hi Wendy

We claimed for dental work for both of us.. Dale had to have root canal treatment in Argentina and I had to have a wisdom tooth out in Australia. Both claims were dealt with really quickly so we were very impressed.

Not sure about claiming for any transport loss though, like you say it seems a bit unreasonable to only be able to claim if you booked it in the UK.

Reply to this

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 83; dbt: 0.0558s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb