What sights have you seen that you'd say are - "have to see" - some thing that there is no excuse to miss if you're in the region - and the catch is - you have to have been there!
I'm always getting told - "you have to see xxxx" - most times I've followed someones advice I have been impressed, so here's a chance to get my own back. This is my list in order of most impressive sights or things that moved me the most - things I've seen - not want to sees - that's a longer list 😊
- Tikal, Guatemala
- Yosemite Valley, California, USA - viewed from Half Dome
- Milford Sound, New Zealand
- Grand Canyon, Arizona, USA
- Prague, Czech Republic
- Bryce Canyon, Utah, USA
- Sydney Harbour, Australia - at night, bridge, opera house etc
- Teotihuacan, Mexico
- Auschwitz, Poland
[photo=xxxx] is the code to link photos, find the id of the photo by hovering over the full image link and looking in the status bar for the number.
ugh... I'm driving distance to three of those places, and never seen 'em! hehe :-/
In no particular order:
Machu Pichu, Agua Calientes, Peru
The Great Wall, Beijing,China
The Grand Canyon, Arizona USA
The Matterhorn, Zermatt, Switzerland
The Golden Gate Bridge at Sunset, San Francisco, USA
The Colosseum, Rome, Italy
The Wailing Wall, Jeruselem, Israel (all of the city is amazing)
So far only 8 stand out as must see can't wait to find the other 2 and then start replacing these ten with ten more.
If in Australia, I highly recommend the Great Ocean road from Sorrento to Apollo Bay. Especially if you are riding a motorcycle, the roads are banked like a race track and the views are unreal.
The Icefields Parkway in BC, Canada.
- Glad you resurrected this thread Rowan - one from 2004!
My list has since changed.... seen a lot more - but if you have "10 things you have to see" - the rule is - you have to have seen them to post them - and if you can embed a photo - [photo=1234] shown when you popup any photo that would be great.
Ok our 10 must sees mostly from our 16 month travels so far, in no particular order:
- Angkor Wat - Cambodia (no pic as we did this before we started our 'proper' travelling!)
- Macchu Picchu - Peru
- Iguazu Falls - Argentina
- Great Wall - China
- Tiger Leaping Gorge - China
- Halong Bay - Vietnam
- Borobudur temple - Java, Indonesia
- Mount Bromo - Java, Indonesia (no pic as we haven't published this blog yet!)
- Cruising on a slow boat to Laos - Laos (ok not technically a must see, but the scenery is fab)
- Salar de Uyuni - Bolivia
These will probably be replaced with more as we keep travelling though!
Point taken Ali..
maybe the places I've visited would include:
1. Icefields Parkway, BC Can. (and Glacier NP)
2. Great Ocean Road, Vic, Aus.
3. Uluru (Ayres Rock) NT Aus.
4. Kakadu NP, NT Aus.
5. Great Barrier Reef Qld Aus
6. Grand Canyon USA
7. Borobador Java Indonesia
8. Taj Mahal India
9. Westminster Cathedral, UK
10. Macchu Picchu, Peru or Tenochtitlan, Mexico.
Well, it was tough to choose only ten, but here it goes - in no particular order:
• Chichén Itzá - Yucatán, Mexico
• Colosseum - Rome, Italy
• Duomo (Basílica di Santa Maria del Fiore) - Firenze/Florence, Italy
• Gondola ride - Venezia/Venice, Italy
• Loire Valley - France
• Musée D'Órsay - Paris, France
• Palace of Westminster - London, England
• Iguaçu Falls - Brazil and Argentina
• The view from Christ the Redeemer - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
• Porcos and Sancho Bay - Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
Note: My photos from Europe were taken from a non digital camera. Scanning them is in my to do list 😊
Ah, can't wait untill I can add my own list to these. Right now all I can give yoe are:
- the golden pavilion - Kyoto, Japan
- Tokyo Tower - Tokyo, Japan
- Snow monkeys - All over Nagano (and probably rest of northern Japan), Japan
- The New York bar - Nishi-Shinjuku, Tokyo, Japan
- Anywhere in Japan during end of march - beginning of april where there are cherry trees.
- rest of Japan.
Three of my favourites...
The view of Budapest from the top of Gellert Hill, in the middle of autumn,
Rome, stumble through Rome at night and happen upon the most beautiful places and buildings,
And I don't think enough credit is ever given to the image of London, Westminster, Big Ben and the London Eye.
Some of the cool places I've seen are:
Cinque Terra - Italy
Edinburgh City - Scotland
Annapurna Circuit - Nepal
Road to Leh - Ladakh, India
Angkor area - Siem Reap, Cambodia
Pai - Thailand
Sydney Harbour - Australia
Coron Island Lake - Philippines
Singapore (at night on junk boat trip)
Halong Bay - Vietnam
Hopefully will add the photos soon!
My top ten in no particular order is:
Taj Mahal, India
Temples of Angkor, Cambodia
Machu Picchu, Peru
River Ganges at Varanasi, India
Sydney Harbour, Australia
Toy train to Darjeeling, India
Hoi An, Vietnam
Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia
Lake Atitlan, Guatemala
Niagra Falls, Canada
Sorry that's 11!
What a question.......
St. Basils Cathedral, Kremlin and Red Square (come on they count as one)
Wild Indian Rhinos and Elephants in Asia
The Northern lights on Lake Superior (Madeline Island Wisconsin)
The Andaman Sea (India or Thailand)
Paris at night
The Dead Sea
While my duaghter ("her" travel blog) has only been to the first 2, my top 10 would be
Easter Island, Chile
Temples of Angkor, Cambodia
Iguazu Falls, Brasil/Argentina
Egyptian Pyramids/Temples, Cairo/Luxor, Egypt
Montain Gorillas, Democratic Republic of Congo
Africa Wildlife Safari, South Africa, Kenya or Tanzania
Macchu Picchu/Cuzco, Peru
Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
Great Barrier Reef, Australia
I dont know if I could limit it that much but here is a selection.
1. I would certainly like to see the Taj Mahal when I am in India next December.
2. I will also see the Ganges river when I am in India next December.
3. Everybody who visits Dublin should hang out at Bewleys cafe on Grafton Street.
4. Everybody who visits London should hang out at Convent Garden.
5. Everyone who visits Toronto should have a drink at the top of the CN tower.
6. Everyone who visits Berlin should have a drink in the bar at the top of the TV tower while watching the sun go down.
7. Everyone who visits Thailand should spend a day hanging out on the Khao San Road in Bangkok.
8. Everyone who visits Bangkok should ride up and down the river on the passenger boats.
9. Everyone should visit Esfahan in Iran since it is known as the jewel of the Middle East.
10. Everyone who visits Budapest in Winter should warm up in the Turkish baths.
Pffft hard one ....in random order...
Pompeii - Italy
Halong Bay - Vietnam
Salar d' Uyuni - Bolivia
The Lakes Disctrict - Pucon, Chili/Bariloche, Argentina
Galapagos - Ecuador
Around Huaraz (Santa Cruz) - Peru
Mount Bromo - Indonesia
Torres del Paine - Chili
Peleponesos - Greece
Macchu Picchu - Peru
gosh... that's a tough one. Randomly...
1. Auyuittuq NP, Baffin Island, Nunavut
2. Stromboli, Aeolian Islands, Italy
3. the streets of Chelsea, London, UK
4. The temples in Kyoto
5. The Simpson Desert, Australia
6. The Lesotho Highlands and the Drakensberg - Lesotho and South Africa
7. Glacier Bay, Alaska - USA
8. Tha Patagonian Channels of Chile
9. The Medicean Chapels, with the statues of Michelangelo, Florence
10. The Upper Kali Gandaki Valley, between the Annapurna and the Dhaulagiri
Gosh, how do I add the images?
just 10! .. in random order:
- PORTO, in Portugal, the ribeira (foz) is amazing (it's my home town!)
- GRAND CANYON, in Arizona, USA, it is so impressing!
- ROMA, in Italy, we can say that you "fall" on the houndreds of monuments!
- NIAGARA FALLS, in USA/Canada, it's so amazing!
- YELLOWSTONE National Park, in USA, is the pure nature, i love it!
- (NORTH OF ITALY), Florence, Venezia, Genova, Bolonha, Milano, Turin, ... just amazing places!
- NORWAY, FJORDS! I love Norway, so calm and so beautifull!
- I LOVE NY
- BARCELONA (amazing city)
- SAN FRANCISCO