Welcome to the Travel Forums

Why join TravelBlog?

  • Membership is Free and Easy
  • Your travel questions answered in minutes!
  • Become part of the friendliest online travel community.
Join Now! Join TravelBlog* today and meet thousands of friendly travelers. Don't wait! Join today and make your adventures even more enjoyable.

* Blogging is not required to participate in the forums


I need some info about getting Visas for different countries
14 years ago, September 3rd 2008 No: 1 Msg: #47791  
Hi - I'm planning to travel through China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Oz and New Zealand spending roughly a month in each country.

I know I can get into New Zealand fine and the Oz visa only costs a little but does anyone know how to go about getting Visas for these countries in Asia and also roughly how much they might cost?

It sounds like getting a Chinese Visa could be a bit of a nightmare!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Reply to this

14 years ago, September 3rd 2008 No: 2 Msg: #47797  
Hello John 😊

Citizens of many countries can get a visa on arrival(or visa exemption as it officially is called) for Thailand free of charge.

For Vietnam, and Cambodia you can get the visas at the respective consulates in Bangkok. You can also get them on arrival. They cost less that 30 Euros but I dont know exactly how much. Have some passport sized photos with you when getting the visas. They are needed for some of them.

The Chinese visa is a confusing one for most right now. Nobody seems sure about what the regulations are since the Olympics ended. They are not available on arrival. You apply at a Chinese consulate for them.

Mel Reply to this

14 years ago, September 3rd 2008 No: 3 Msg: #47798  
The following thread may be worth keeping an eye on.

What is the latest on Chinese visas? Reply to this

14 years ago, September 4th 2008 No: 4 Msg: #47875  
D Posts: 81
With Cambodia visa, you can also make it in Cambodia Embassy in Vietnam, the price about 25USD. Visa Vietnam pick up at the airport about 25USD, and you have to pay 25USD for vietnam Immigration at the airport. Reply to this

14 years ago, September 4th 2008 No: 5 Msg: #47881  
Cool thanks for your help. I'm actually planning to travel to Vietnam by coach/train from Kunming - if I can get in to China that is! I'll also be going by coach from Vietnam into Cambodia. Do you think this will be a problem? Is it possible to sort out the Vietnamese and Cambodian Visas before I get there? Reply to this

14 years ago, September 5th 2008 No: 6 Msg: #48009  
D Posts: 81
There is the train from Kunminh to Vietnam before, but now it is not active. You can take a bus from Kunminh to Lao Cai, by the way you can go to Sapa some days from there, then take a train to Hanoi. You should take the visa to Vietnam before in China(The Vietnam Embassy in Beijing) or before there and Visa Cambodia you can make it in Vietnam(Cambodia Embassy in Hanoi). You can go to Cambodia from hanoi(by fly) and from SaiGon by bus or take a trip to Mekong delta from Sai on and go straigh to Cambodia/
Have a good trip! Reply to this

14 years ago, September 26th 2008 No: 7 Msg: #49931  
We are doing the same trip as we speak! For China we had to get our visa in the states before we left, we got a Vietnam visa in hong kong in one day for about $40 USD (it's cheaper if you have longer), Cambodia we got on arrival at the border for $30 USD, Thailand- no visa needed for us. you get a 30 day visa on arrival! Reply to this

14 years ago, September 26th 2008 No: 8 Msg: #49969  
Anyone know of any reputable sites online to get a Vietnam visa?? Reply to this

14 years ago, October 1st 2008 No: 9 Msg: #50416  


take a look on this site. You may find what you need.



Reply to this

14 years ago, November 25th 2008 No: 10 Msg: #55547  

Only citizens of certain countries can visit Vietnam without an entry visa (valid for visit within 30 days). Those countries include: most Asean countries, Korea, Japan & Scandinavians (2005). All other citizens are required to get an entry visa before departure (visa issued prior to departure by Vietnamese consulates or embassies) or a pre-approved entry visa (visa is issued on arrival at Vietnam’s International Airports) supplied before arrival in Vietnam.

- No visa required for travel less than 30 days: Citizens of Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Laos.
- No visa required for travel less than 15 days: Citizens of Japan and South Korea, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland.
- No visa required for travel less than 90 days or several visits within 6 months: Citizens of France holding valid diplomatic or official passports
- No visa required for travel less than 60 days: Citizens of Chile holding valid diplomatic or official passports.
- No visa required for travel less than 60 days: APEC Business Travel Card (ABTC) Holders from Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) member economies
- Special Phu Quoc Exception: Foreigners and Vietnamese nationals bearing foreign passports who enter Vietnam through an international border gate and then travel to Phu Quoc Island and stay in Phu Quoc less than 15 days will also be exempt from visa application. Passports must be valid for at least 45 days. After arriving in Phu Quoc Island, if visitors want to travel other localities or stay in the island for more than 15 days, the immigration department will be responsible for issuing visas right on the spot.
- No visa required for Japanese citizens who hold valid diplomatic or official passports

When entering Vietnam to implement diplomatic or Government’s official tasks without concerning about the time of stay. For those who entering Vietnam not for the diplomatic tasks but hold valid diplomatic or official passports can be exempted from entry visa and permitted to stay within 90 days.

Reply to this

14 years ago, November 25th 2008 No: 11 Msg: #55548  
I deleted one post. If a moderator removes a link from your post, do not reinsert it. Removing SPAM is time consuming for moderators. Reply to this

11 years ago, August 22nd 2011 No: 12 Msg: #142192  
B Posts: 2
Hi there! I'm new to this and currently planning my RTW trip.

I was just wondering if I apply for my visas (where possible) in advance and am currently employed but will be unemployed when using the visa what do I put under occupation? my occupation as it is now or 'unemployed' as I will be leaving my job for RTW travel?

Thanks for any advice Reply to this

11 years ago, August 27th 2011 No: 13 Msg: #142433  
just put your last job title (unless it's 'political activist' or something ;-)) I started making up occupations on the visa forms - I doubt most countries would ever check it out unless you were arrested or something in-country. At various times on our trip I was an "IT guy", "Novelist", "Expert" etc. It's not really important. Reply to this

11 years ago, August 27th 2011 No: 14 Msg: #142442  
B Posts: 2
Great! Thanks for the info, tried getting this info from the various emabssies but they were of little assistance. Reply to this

Tot: 0.048s; Tpl: 0.006s; cc: 6; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb