Colca Canyon and Lake Titicaca


Advertisement
South America
June 18th 2009
Published: July 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After spending a few days in Arequipa we got the bus to Colca Canyon, one of the deepest canyons in the world. After the trouble we had with the guide for Machu Picchu we decided not to go as part of a tour , and just left with 3 friends and a map. We stayed in Capaconde the night we arrived and woke up early to begin our walk into the canyon. On leaving the village we were followed by a stray dog who made himself our guide for the day, and who proved himself to know alot more about the area than our previous guide. At the bottom of the canyon we did some trout fishing but failed to catch anything. We found ourselves short of time to get back out of the canyon before dark but just managed it with a bit of speed climbing. It was a really beautiful trek and was made even better by going to see the flight of the condors in the canyon early the next morning.

After Arequipa we headed to Puno on the shore of lake Titicaca, near the Bolivian border. We spent some time walking around the worlds highest lake at 3880m and we could certainly feel the difference in altitude. We took a day trip to visit the floating islands, which are artificial islands made from reeds. There are over 50 floating islands , each with different communities living on them. We were able to see how they lived and survived on the islands, which was really impressive and amusing to see how they still managed to have a solar panal to watch tv.

We left Peru across the border into Bolivia and stayed at Copacabana, located on the other side of the lake. We visisted Isla Del Sol, the birth place of the Inca civilization. There wasnt much to see on the island itself but the views of the snowcapped mountains over Lake Titicaca made it worthwhile.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

CapacondeCapaconde
Capaconde

Donkeys
CapacondeCapaconde
Capaconde

Drying corn
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Cactus fields
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Trout fishing
Colca CanyonColca Canyon
Colca Canyon

Cassie with our guide
PunoPuno
Puno

Lake Titicaca
PunoPuno
Puno

Lake Titicaca
PunoPuno
Puno

Lake Titicaca
Floating IslandFloating Island
Floating Island

Women singing and waving us off
Floating IslandFloating Island
Floating Island

Launching the reed boat
CopacabanaCopacabana
Copacabana

Pig trotter
CopacabanaCopacabana
Copacabana

Peeling our pineapple at the local market


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb