Bolivia in three days


Advertisement
South America
March 16th 2009
Published: March 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

From Lake Titicaca in Peru, it is so easy to make a small detour into Bolivia - the lake straddles the border between Peru and Bolivia. Therefore, we took the bus to Copacabana, a small, pretty town on the Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca. However, we didn't end up doing much exciting there, and then went on to La Paz, the capital of Bolivia. This bus ride was eventful, as the bus stops at a wide river and everyone is told to get off. You must buy a ticket (always the extra charge!) for a small river taxi, and meet the bus on the other side of the river. We were pretty nervous watching our bus sail away without us (but with our bags in the hold), but it turned out okay.

La Paz has a great, busy downtown with delicious food stalls (something they don't seem to have as much of in Peru). We actually liked this city somewhat, despite being big, dirty and dangerous. Our hostel was right in the middle of the "witches' market", an area with tiny cobbled streets featuring stalls that sell mysterious medicinal-type stuff. Most stalls boast dried llama fetuses, which locals bury under the porch of their house before they move in, for good luck.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

City of La PazCity of La Paz
City of La Paz

It is the highest big city in the world.


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 19; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0872s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb