Uroguay to Argentina


Advertisement
South America
February 1st 2019
Published: February 1st 2019
Edit Blog Post

Our first stop in Uruguay was in Punte d'elle Este, an expensive resort with very nice marina. Tried to get a taxi but couldn't find one so ended up having a beer on the front and then going back to the ship as it was so hot we couldn't walk anywhere. The following day we were in Montevideo, the capital which means 6th hill from east to west. Uruguay means River of birds. This time we travelled around in an airconditioned coach to see a few buildings and sculptures. A better way to see the place. Very friendly guide one of the best so far. Our final stop was in Buenos Aires. They had had a storm the night before which had cleared the air so it wasn't so oppressively hot. The traffic was heavy so it took some time to go round the city. We had a stop in the Plaza Mayo, the main square with parliament buildings and the Cathedral and were just in time to see the changing of the guard. Next it was on to the Boca area where we hadn't been before and wished we could have more time there. All the buildings are painted in bright colours. There are lots of bars and restaurants and shops as well as the inevitable tango happening on every corner. It is not a place to go to at night but is safe during the day as long as you take the normal precautions. The final stop was in Ricoletta , the huge cemetery where Eva Peron is buried. It is well worth a visit but needs time to go round. We didn't bother going in as we had been there before and a nice bar beckoned for a lovely cool red wine and some jambon crudo, while we waited for the others. We get off the ship the following day and that is the end of another cruise. It has been very enjoyable but the heat and humidity has been too much to sit out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



1st February 2019

Buenos Aires
Tiz: I suspect that you may be suffering from travel fatigue. Other than Bogata, Buenos Aires is my very favourite city in all of Latin America. Wonderful culture, wonderful buildings, wide open streets - and never really THAT hot. A grand dame who may, I concede, be a few decades beyond her best. But aren't we all.

Tot: 0.415s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.1675s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb