LLanos again


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela » Llanos » San Fernando
July 3rd 2009
Published: July 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Well as the tensions rise, we fled caracas without brian, to Merida once again. From there Talyn and i joined some folks in a land-rover to get into the llanos, this time much deeper. We had planned on going to one of the Hatos, the biological reserve like HAto Frio, or Cedral, but decided we wanted a more authentic experience. We ended up at a ranch in the state of Apure. The decision was extremely rewarding. We rafted the Santo Domingo river, rode horses through the llanos among lagoons of caiman and storks, took multiple trips looking for wildlife, pirana fishing,...... the list goes on. Even got the chance to catch an anaconda. Hard to expect any future trip to compare. Talyn and I were both struck by the pirana meat. There is so little meat on the body. It is super boney and surprisingly soft flesh. Ot was cooked whole, fried with some sort of batter.

The drive there, long as it was, only provided one tense moment of armed-guard inspection. We were told that being so close to the columbian border makes the region susceptible to guerrilla groups, and carjackings were a bit of a concern. Alas, no problems.

We will try to remain at the hostel in merida for as long as possible, till we have to return to caracas for our flight out of the country. Merida is so much more relaxing, and has so much more to offer. Talyn has yet to decide on our final adventure in venezuela. We have enough money to either go paragliding or canyoneering... tough call.

The situation in honduras makes things in VZ a bit tense, but so far we have yet to really feel the effect. I suppose that might be different if we were in caracas. Hopefully the situation holds true for another week. Chavez has been sepaking in war mongering languages, creating a bit of a stir in the country. Evidently he is ready to send troops, but at the same time fears an invasion from honduras. So the airports are said to be ready to close. Never a dull moment.

That is the news from the land of arepas.
Wherever you are i hope all is well.

Sam and talyn


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

capybaracapybara
capybara

largest rodent- fish in eyes of catholic church
WatsonWatson
Watson

Evidently an endangered bird, super prevelent here
sam swims with the piranassam swims with the piranas
sam swims with the piranas

You dont get many chances like this.... DOlphins, piranas, caiman, parasites.... the list goes on.
piranapirana
pirana

strange fish, so little meat, such biters.
Some sort of tree snakeSome sort of tree snake
Some sort of tree snake

Friendly serpent


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0353s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb