A rest in Puerto Colombia


Advertisement
Venezuela's flag
South America » Venezuela » Central » Puerto Colombia
June 25th 2007
Published: June 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

En RouteEn RouteEn Route

The windy road
The drive from Maracay is magnificent, up a windy narrow mountain road then down the other side. So very pretty and a great view. There was a fair amount of traffic. The bus drivers are mad, barely slowing down to squeeze past the truck, and shouting a lot, persumably telling us to hurry up because we had plenty of room. Well ... maybe as much as an inch. Lots of cars had to reverse to let us past. And we had to reverse 2 or 3 times to get around some corners. Lots of fun!

We stayed at Posada Alamania and, not surprisingly, there was a big german guy running the place. We got a little room with a fan, basic but OK. Breakfast was fantastic with brown bread, lovely fresh juice and excellent coffee.

Not much to say about Puerto Colombia. We may have had a better impression if we were there at the weekend but during the week it just seemed dead quiet. We arrived late the first night and found kitchens closing around 9 pm. And for the rest of our stay we found a limited selection of restaurants, quite often we were told that
Puerto ColombiaPuerto ColombiaPuerto Colombia

Beautiful, quiet streets
things on the menu were unavailable. It was overpriced and not that good.

Mostly we spent our time mucking around on the internet organising and researching for our travels, but of course we had to go the beach. It was a nice walk across the river, past lots of closed shacks and a big restaurant at the end. The beach was busy but not heaving. The breeze was refreshing in the hot weather. The beach was very pretty, white sand, palm trees, beautiful and clear blue-green water. But it was grubby with lots of bottle caps and crap in the sand. We went for a little walk ... the beach was not as big as it name suggests ... Playa Grande.

Our other expedition was to Choroni. Only a twenty minute walk. It was lovely to wander the narrow streets and see all the beautiful pastel coloured houses. Nice square and a pretty church. But more dead than Puerto Colombia.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Puerto ColombiaPuerto Colombia
Puerto Colombia

Playa Grande


Tot: 0.165s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 20; qc: 117; dbt: 0.1137s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb