I like Colonia!


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay
January 30th 2013
Published: January 30th 2013
Edit Blog Post

A Hillman!A Hillman!A Hillman!

With special paint effects....
Tales of the Unexpected

I stayed in a hostel in Colonia and as usual was enertained by fascinating conversations with total strangers.

Aude introduced herself over the breakfast table on the first morning. She was French, single and travelling on her own. We discussed Colonia, S America and then the news. She laughed about the news of the weather from England, I laughed about Depardieu going over to Putin's colony and what might happen when they fall out over something. Aude was adamant that he should not be allowed to return to France, I think we agreed about Mons. D wholeheartedly, then the conversation moved on to mistrust in the media generally, politicians got it in the neck, Europe was rubbished and S America seen as the area of growth, life and panache. The world was sorted before 9.30 that day ! That was the first time I have agreed with a French person about anything political.

Two Canadian post grad students introduced themselves from their bunk beds much later on that day. They too were escaping the heat of Buenos Aires, one was researching bus routes in BA. She had written a phone app which tracked the route and timing of the bus, useful in a city with such a huge traffic problem which is often exacerbated by holes in roads etc. the bigger problem with her research was being caused by the total lack of communication between the national government, the city authorities and the transport authorities. The funding went to the National government, then moved no further. Stalemate at the moment prevails. However, she is also going to introduce this in a city in Pakistan where the authorities have no problems communicating, but there are no bus routes -the driver decides where he is going to drive.... That amused me no end, it could even make a good comedy sketch!



A Canadian gentleman introduced himself next morning over breakfast and there followed insights into the treatment of schizophrenics and mentally ill people in Canada together with his area of research he was considering for a doctoral thesis. His concern was our inability to communicate with each other now and the implications for the future. How many of the people who commit mass murders are living in situations where they have all the technology to communicate online, but simply do not talk to
Train stationTrain stationTrain station

It seems that S America learnt from Beeching - drat the man! No trains have departed for years.
others? Are there thousands of others in similar situations whom we hope will not commit such awful crimes but nevertheless are living in hell?

It was supposed to be a chilling out week-end! However, the historical area of the city achieved that, so some random photos of Colonia will follow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.332s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb