Milonga Uruguaya


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay
June 26th 2011
Published: June 26th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Dear reader

I’m using our computer and internet access to identify the ingredients that make up the Uruguayan way of life. It’s like being a chef. Ingredients can be combined in a myriad of ways – what are some of the Uruguayan combinations?

Travelling virtually for eight months leading up to the real time trip I come across the milonga – a form of music and dance that preceded the tango. It’s huge in Uruguay. There are loads of places where people go to dance the milonga (and the tango).

Different places, different nights of the week. Students showing up for lessons around 9 pm, the “real” dancing starting around midnight.

Milonga teachers offering milonga lessons everywhere. Learn the steps, and then dance with experienced dancers. Wear the right shoes, observe milonga etiquette.

Find a partner, get to know partner, break up with partner.

The milonga is sort of like rhythmic walking without complicated figures, and more "rustic" in style than the tango. It reminds me of some styles of European folk dancing …hugely popular in Canberra.

The annual multicultural festival in Canberra includes various groups performing folk dances from around the world. They practice throughout the year and only the best perform at the festivals.

This milonga Uruguaya is performed on stage in costume:


Compare with this Milonga Uruguaya which takes place in a dance hall with the teacher calling out the steps.



Each step, each movement, has a name. Combine them in particular ways and you get different styles of milongas. This is a recipe for if not disaster, then very likely disagreement. You are now fully qualified to have arguments with your partner (fellow cook) or teacher (master chef) about who’s right and who’s wrong (steps too short, steps too long – too much pepper, too much salt).

Bye for now
Guapita




Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb