How many Uruguayan movies have you seen?


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay
May 22nd 2011
Published: May 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Dear reader

Guapo ordered State of Siege, the dvd, on the internet, and last night we sat down to watch it. Now, I doubt there’s a Uruguayan who doesn’t know of this movie. But if like me you haven’t come across it yet, the film was made by the Greek director Costa-Gavras in 1972 and is set in “a Latin American country” – but really, no prizes for guessing which one – Uruguay. Yes, there a little clues sprinkled throughout the movie but I won’t tell you what they are. Is the film about the Tupamaros? Is it about torture? Corruption? Yes yes and yes. Yves Montand plays the lead role. The movie is in French with subtitles, and it doesn’t paint the US in a good light. I have to say it was weird watching this story without a word of Spanish in it, but which takes place in Uruguay (although it was filmed in Chile) with a French speaking Montand playing an American aid worker. But if you can get over all of that, let me tell you, it’s powerful. Having said that, my advice would be to read up on the Tupamaros (urban guerrilla movement) beforehand or you won’t know what’s going on.

Obviously the film title hasn’t been copyrighted, because another STATE OF SIEGE has just been released. This is a feature length documentary (60 minutes) by Dennis Grosvenor set here in New South Wales which “tracks the history of, and conflicts between, development and urban conservation, fuelled by a culture of political donations and undue influence”. It premiered in Sydney on 16 February 2011 and apparently was a sell-out and greeted with a standing ovation. I’ll have to look out for it.

But getting back to Uruguay: Guapo walks in and says he’s bought “un facon”. What? Yes, he shows me this bloody large dagger tucked into his belt. Only, it’s not really a dagger but a foot or more of steel with handle made specially for cutting up cold roast beef. This knife is definitely not allowed to touch any vegetables – it would have been a gaucho’s envy…

Bye for now
Guapita


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb