Cruising in Colonia...


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » West » Colonia del Sacramento
January 5th 2012
Published: January 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

What a difference a ferry ride makes! Having left the hectic pollution filled streets of buenos aires behind us we boarded the ferry and crossed the rio de la plata, to be greeted by the tranquil cobblestone streets of Colonia de Sacramento.
This was another place on our unesco world heritage site list to be crossed off and it didn't disappoint, from the tree lined streets filled with cafes tables and chairs to the old lighthouse this place had all we needed to relax after visiting it's rowdy neighbor. The fact that you could hire a golf buggy to drive round it's historic streets only added to it's appeal. With a top speed of about 15mph Emilie was even let loose to have a go and after a few near misses while she adjusted to driving on the wrong side of the road actually didn't kill anyone!
There is little to do in this colonial enclave and if your looking for a party you've come to the wrong place, but if like us you enjoy relaxing with a glass of wine eating some cheese and sunning yourself this is the place for you.
We had 5 days in Uruguay one of which was spent on a day trip to the capital Montevideo which unfortunately was a bit of a let down. After 2.5hrs on a bus getting there it was disappointing to discover little that was worth looking at and even less to do. The port area recommended by the tourist information as somewhere nice, felt run down, dodgy and with police on literally every corner only added to it's rough feel. There is some fantastic old architecture but it all needs a bit of tlc.
Back in Colonia we had something far more exciting planned, mine and Emilie's debuts as jockeys! Having never been on a horse before in my life and Emilie only once as a child, we were a little apprehensive about spending the next 2.5hrs on a horses back. This soon fear soon disappeared when we realised the horses were far more interested in eating the grass than who was on them, and when we tried to make them gallop they may have as well have laughed in our faces! Riding along the beach was cool and when our instructor gave them a slap on the arse the horses managed to gallop for about a minute but after a couple of hours in 38 degree heat, Emilie was about to faint and I was ready for a beer.
Colonia is a beautiful little place and well worth a visit, if only to drive a golf buggy around town.


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb