The meat is cheap here.


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » West » Colonia del Sacramento
February 23rd 2006
Published: February 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Leaving BsAsLeaving BsAsLeaving BsAs

A view from the BuqueBus which was our fast little ferry over to Uruguay
Mom, Aunti San and I boreded a buque bus ( a fast ferry) to Colonia Uruguay. We met a very nice man, Eduardo, who for a small fee drove us all around Colonia in his taxi and told us all about the place. Mom and Aunti San kept asking about real estate....after mom found out some of the prices she asked if there were any snakes. Eduardo said she would be safe in town.

He also took us to the old bull fighting ring and also a small chapel where the bullfighters used to go to make offerings. These offerings consisted of small silver pieces from their suites. There were also small charms of different body parts people would offer as prayer to get better. Rows of feet, ears, hands, hearts, eyes, etc. The chapel was very old and had a black saint at the alter.

The town of Colonia was built by the Portuguese and then transfered over to Spanish power. The town has various styles of architecture and is prettier then any postcard I found. The photos I took didnt do it any justice either, but here are a few to feast your eyes on.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

CapillaCapilla
Capilla

The chapel where bullfighters used to make offerings
the wallthe wall
the wall

Part of the old portuguese wall protecting the city


17th March 2006

images again
Lizzz, You just keep them coming; Great Lew

Tot: 0.232s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 13; qc: 63; dbt: 0.1688s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb