A very quiet town.


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » West » Colonia del Sacramento
September 10th 2007
Published: September 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

From Montivideo we caught another bus to the city of Colonia, 2 hours on a nearly straight road. We had the pleasure of finding our hostel and making ourselves comfortable, then it started to rain. Our 4th day of rain in 8 months. Our first day in Colonia was spent inside because of more rain.

Everyone had said what a gorgeos town it is and very Portugese in the old neighbourhood. The old part of town was from the old days and had some remaining stone walls. A light house was built in the ruins of an old convent and we thought it was very out of place, but it was built 150 years ago and the builders probably did not know to keep modern stuff out of the way of really old stuff. Many of the old buildings had been turned into restaurants and tourist shops and museums. It was very nice, but nothing compared to what we had seen in Columbia. I believe alot of smuggling and carry on went on. You could imagine one legged pirates walking down the streets. We found there was not alot to see so we caught the ferry across to Argentina. This took about 2 hours and when we got back to Buenos Aries, it was raining. 5th, 6th and 7th days of rain.

We had decided to spend the rest of our time hanging out in Buenos Aires and so we have taken a hostel in Palermo, a nice part of town and gone into the city for a couple of breaks and to do a bit of looking around and the sights we've already seen. Paul is very bored and I am really enjoying myself. We went to a mall to shop and they had a display of plasticated humans. Paul went to see it and was in there for ages while I looked at shops and waited. I felt I saw enough of human stuff at work and what I hadn't seen for real I could see at the butchers. Paul said it was really good but would have been better if some labels had been in English. One person was cut into rounds and spread out over quite along table. People had been taken down to circulatory and nervous systems. I was pleased I didn't go in.

We went to see a military museum of weapons. Every type of gun, cannon, sword, armour, samuri weapons and other stuff you could imagine. They even had a plastic horse head wearing a gas mask, I didn't know they had those.

Otherwise we have been hanging out, awaiting our flight home. We leave at midnight on the 23rd and get home on the 27th, somehow we'll age a day in half a day. See you soon.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

THis is what I loved in Buenos AiriesTHis is what I loved in Buenos Airies
THis is what I loved in Buenos Airies

Off for a walk with their tails in the air, went Bottomly Potts - covered in spots, Muffin Maclay - like a bundle of hay, Hercules Morse - as big as a horse, et al and Hairy Macleary from Donaldson's Dairy. Thank you Ms Dodds.


Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb