Getting Into Things in Montevideo


Advertisement
Published: June 16th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: -34.8939, -56.1568

Yesterday we and some friends from school went on a city tour. It was interesting and something we like to do when we're in a new area. It gives you a sense of place and all. Our last stop was at such a lovely point overlooking the river that five of us left the tour and stayed there for dinner, thinking we'd just walk back because our guide said it would only take us an hour.

We had a great time laughing and enjoying the beautiful evening on this deck overlooking the beaches up and down the Rio de la Plata (pronounced plaht, plate or plaht-ah—depending on who you're talking to). After about a half-hour Vic dropped out and took a taxi (she has MS and can't walk far) and we continued on. Barbara and I were lagging waaay behind the men—we couldn't even see them but figured at some point they'd stop and wait for us to catch up.

Wrong.

We'd walked over an hour when it was dark enough for street lights and still no husbands and no keys to our abodes. By the time we finally caught up to them we were both getting blisters we'd walked so far and so fast—and of course having thought we'd just be on a bus tour, weren't prepared for HIKING.

But find them we did and since it was full dark by now we got a cab the rest of the way. As it turned out, our supposed one hour walk came to about 10 miles. Hope the rest of the stuff the guide told us was more on than his guestimate on this.

Our walk to school is only 4 blocks and it's really very nice in this shady residential area. They've planted trees all along their streets and they add a wonderful touch, but the roots have done a job on the sidewalks. They're all 6” tiles and so broken up by tree roots it's impossible to walk and do ANYTHING else like look at where you're going. You'll fall and break your neck if you try. So intent were we on not breaking our necks we actually passed up our place trying not to either trip or step in dog doo. It isn't awful, but it requires your attention.

ALL your attention.



Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Restaurant on the ShoreRestaurant on the Shore
Restaurant on the Shore

This is where we had dinner.
Lush Grass on the ShoreLush Grass on the Shore
Lush Grass on the Shore

Reminds me this is not the ocean. It's hard to remember when looking at something sooooo big.


Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb