Our very short time in Uruguay.


Advertisement
Published: October 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well it has been a while since our last update, so what have we been up to? We did finally make it to Colonia on the ferry. The weather calmed down, although when we went to check on the ferry and if it would run, they had cancelled the one before ours. So we were a little nervous about wether we would actually get to go. Our ferry was scheduled to leave at 6:30pm, after a short delay of 45minutes we boarded and were on our way. Considering the weather the night before it was such a smooth sailing!

Colonia was a welcome relief after Buenos Aires traffic. Colonia is a small town that has had a pretty interesting history, it was constantly being fought over by the Spanish and the Portuguese, because of its proximity to Buenos Aires. So what you're left with is a small cobble stone area of old city, with a mix of achitecture, which make for a nice place to wander round. We spent the day looking around soaking in the sun and relaxing. We did walk about 10km though to find a old bull ring, a pretty cool old structure that is now crumbling.
Colonia del Sacramento Colonia del Sacramento Colonia del Sacramento

Zac with one of the old canons that sit the old walls.
We hopped the fence and went in to have a look. Pretty cool, but were eaten alive by mosquitos!

The next day we planned to bus to Montevideo, some how in all the confusion with the first ferry being cancelled we scored a ticket that gave us a free bus ride to Montevideo, so it was not all bad!

We only ended up with less than a day in Montevideo in the end after all the stuffing around, but we made the most of it and walked all over the old town. It was quite pretty there are some gorgeous old buildings in the city. It was a bit sad that we didn't have more time in the end but what we saw we liked.

The next morning we were up bright and early for a massive day of travel. We caught the bus from Montevideo to Colonia, then the ferry to Buenos Aires. From there it was an overnight bus all the way up north to Puerto Iguazu in the north of Argentina. Our bus left Buenos Aires at 2pm and arrived in Puerto Iguazu at 8am. Not too much to say about that bus except
The Lighthouse.The Lighthouse.The Lighthouse.

This was surprisingly quite a distance form the waters edge.
we had great seats front row on the top level of a double decker bus.

Will add more about Iguazu Falls soon. 😊


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

MontevideoMontevideo
Montevideo

An Interesting way to collect the rubbish.
MontevideoMontevideo
Montevideo

An example of some of the brilliant street art in Montevideo.
MontevideoMontevideo
Montevideo

An awesome little car we spotted, the owner let us get some photos with it, that is Zac sitting in it.


Tot: 0.07s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.046s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb