Wanderings in Peru - 4 - Sacred Valley & Machu Picchu


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
June 24th 2016
Published: June 27th 2016
Edit Blog Post

We started our exploration of the Sacred Valley of the Incas visiting the Incan Fortress of Ollantaytambo. A climb up several hundred steep rocky steps brought us to the top of the fortress and the Temple of the Sun. Large stone slabs aligned with the sun with prefect symmetry and joints, all carved and smoothed by hand, and transported from a quarry on the opposite side of the valley - an unbelievable achievement. On to the small Incan town of Urubamba where we visited the colourful local market, full of unusual fruit and vegetables - especially the wide variety of potatoes and corn. The small streets surrounding the market were full of local characters reminding us of times gone by in the western world.



Next morning we boarded the Vistadome train - otherwise known as "the train to Machu Picchu" for a slow but scenic journey along the river valley to Aguas Calientes where we caught "the bus to Machu Picchu" and traversed a steep rough road to the highlight of the tour. Glimpses of the iconic city in the clouds could be seen as we wound around the hairpin bends and then we were there! Tickets and passports checked followed by a short walk up steep steps and there in front of our eyes was the full vista of the ancient city of the Incas perched atop the mountains with incredibly steep terraces tumbling down the edges of mountains - we were very fortunate to have virtually clear blue skies with just occasional clouds allowing us a perfect view. WanderingAlison had fulfilled her lifelong ambition of seeing this magnificent sight.



Accommodation - Casa Andina Private Collection Sacred Valley - Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel



Weather - Blue skies & sunny with occasional clouds 18 - 22c


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.059s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb