Peru -- Much more than Machu Picchu!!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
March 17th 2014
Published: February 16th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

South Peru trip


Peru is large country. In most of people's mind, when you say 'Peru', they immediately think about Machu Picchu and inca trail. Well this is the traditional places that most tourists visit, the country has a lot more to offer.
In this trip, I went in the Amazon, Puerto Maldonado region, the mountains and the southern desert coast. Many interesting things! .

Highlights for me:

1- Amazon region, lodge in the forest: comfortable and deep in the forest enough to see many new animals: anaconda, fer de lance viper, hoatzin bird, etc...

2- Islas Ballestas: We saw sea lions, many flying birds, and a small colony of penguins!! They survive there because of the cold ocean current

3- Nazca lines by plane.

Cuzco is nice colonial city, but you are attacked by armies of sellers of all sorts!!! I was supposed to go Machu Picchu and paid excursion in advance, (500$), but got sick with a combination of altitude sickness and a virus that gave me fever and digestive problems. I lost 500$ bucks, because they don't refund. My advice: stay at mid-altitude, (like Arequipa) for 2-3 days before getting to Cuzco. Do all you can to no pay a tour guide ALL in advance, or go to these that can insure you.


Additional photos below
Photos: 133, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb