Peruuuu that stinks!


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru
January 26th 2010
Published: January 26th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I think I will reiterate the last lesson we have learnt since embarking on our journey to Peru... TRAVELLERS LESSON NUMBER 5: Be prepared FOR ALL SEASONS. So you think we would have learnt by now with our ´Grand Canyon less the granduer´ saga, but with amazing luck we have now been blessed with Mudslides.

After a late night flight we arrived in Lima airport for our connecting flight to Cusco at 5am yesterday morning. Unfortunately Cusco airport was closed due to torrential rain and therefore we did not leave until 11am that day. Upon arriving in Cusco we tried to not let our lack of sleep and morning drama get the better of us, and set off to book our trek to Machu Picchu.

After visiting the first travel agent we received some news that we did not like so in copmplete denial had to visit 4 more travel agents until we could process that Machu Picchu was not happening. Apperently it rained a little too much and the areas surrounding Machu Picchu, including the train that runs from Cusco there and back, are flooded and will not be operating for 4 days. Emily and I have not come off the worse in this depressing situation though, Many people have booked there expensive treks months in advanced and have arrived to the news that they will not do the trek and they will not get a refund.

So now we are stuck in Peru with no accomodation and not much to do except protect our belongings and whinge about our bad luck. Not entirely true, there are plenty of things to do but we are yet unwilling to accept that Machu Picchu shall not be ticked off as an acomplishment in our books.

We are awaiting for 4 of my girlfriends who have been travelling to arrive today (although they have been stuck in an airport for 3 days so we are hopeful they got a flight) so we can drink to Australia day and listen to the triple j hottest 100 at the Irish pub in the plaza.

Then perhaps after our sorrows have been drowned we can decide whether we stay or move on to Bolivia... until then we play the waiting game.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.3s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb