Construction In Tumbes


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Tumbes » Tumbes
July 20th 2010
Published: July 25th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Most houses are pretty much a narrow long box occupying the entire site, never much of a front garden but sometimes a backyard for veggies and chooks.
Richer areas are built with concrete and brick while the poorest areas are built with pretty much anything at hand, bamboo chinked with mud being the traditional style.

There is a definite unfinished and randomness to peruvian architechure as it is very common to leave the rebar sticking out the top of the concrete columns. Doing so makes it easier to add an extra level when the family can afford it. There is also no central planning or building permissions to speak of, so you get garish monstrosities next to bamboo shacks next to quaint churches.

The front of the house is often finished quite nicely with windows and tiles, but the sides are usually undressed brick or wood.
As Tumbes is warm pretty much all the time, glass windows are an unneccessary luxury, as is hot water.

They were building a new house opposite Victorias parents house, so I took pictures of their progress.

They did not put down a slab or supports to start with, they just poured footings for the brick walls and started building them. The concrete pillars are made with 4 pieces of rebar wound with thinner steel and poured by hand using a cement mixer and a bucket.

A guard (possibly the owner or one of the builders) stayed on site at night to prevent pilfering of materials.

Once the outer walls were mostly in place, they started work on interior walls and leveling the floor for a fairly thin concrete slab floor.

I will add another photo to this sequence when I get back to tumbes at the end of august.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0587s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb