Huaraz to Ecuador


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Trujillo
April 23rd 2012
Published: May 19th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We left Huaraz on an overnight bus to Trujillo. We left about 10:15 pm on a fairly fancy Linea bus and arrived in Trujillo 9 hours later. They served us chicken and rice and cooked veggies for dinner which was fantastic. All we had brought was bread, not as fantastic. The movie was Alive, rather appropriate as we wound our way down the Andes. Sarah had recently read Miracle in the Andes (Dad, remember giving me that book one Christmas for Elfster because you didn't know how to use the internet?). Alive is based on Miracle in the Andes, the story of a rugby teams plane crashing in the Andes and their survival, which included cannibalism. Sarah tried to stay awake and watch it despite being tired. An hour or so in, after the likely illegally ripped movie kept pausing, she couldn't take it any more and she fell asleep. I tried to watch the rest, but about 30 minutes from the end it permanently froze. Oh well.

We arrived in Trujillo and quickly tried to figure out how to keep pressing north. After a week in Huaraz we were ready for some serious bus time. Unfortunately Trujillo has no main bus terminal so we took a cab to the CIFA/Oltursa bus area to see what we could find. Another overnight bus to Tumbes was our best option and since Tumbes is near the border that would give us the whole next day to cross. We bought our tickets with Oltursa and left our backpacks there for the day.

Trujillo is a huge city at about 4 million people, it is like 1 million degrees there and with it being all spread out and needing to take cabs everywhere we decided to just hang out in the bus area for the day. Rather uneventful.

That night we hopped on the overnight bus at 8:00 pm and it was another nice one. They had a movie, Arthur, and all was well until the Malaria medication we had been taking started really bothering Sarah's stomach. She unfortunately had a long night.

The supposed 8 hour ride turned in to 10. In Tumbes we got hounded by a cab driver to spend a fortune on him taking us to the border and got directions from a nice police officer before climbing on board an 8am bus to Guayaquil. We barely made the bus after all the chaos but we made it.

And so concludes our adventures in Peru.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0932s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb