Trujillo and Huanchaco


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Trujillo
August 7th 2011
Published: August 18th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It was very early when we pulled into Trujillo, maybe 7am. And we took a walk into the main square. Trujillo is very pretty and pretty much abandoned when we got there. The buildings are all really colourful and its quite a nice place to just walk around and take in. We decided to stay a night as if we didn’t it would be another 10hour bus later that day.

We met a Swiss guy called Jonah who we wandered round with and got breakfast with in the market. Lovely cheap chicken sandwiches and coffee.
We then got a taxi with our bags to Huanchaco which is just the little town by the beach, its pretty much part of Trujillo. We were quite glad to see a beach but it was pretty cloudy although by late afternoon it was sunny. We checked into a decent enough hostel and we had a private room with a balcony with a brilliant view of the beach. We could actually check into our room until midday so we left our bags with them and wandered around. We decided to get the local bus back into Trujillo to book a bus to Mancora the next day. We got some help from the locals in finding the bus station but the queue was so long and slow that we gave up. We went back to our hotel and checked into our room.
We decided to take a surf lesson with a legendary guy called Jonny and we both got standing up and everything. The waves were grand for us but probably would have bored anyone who can actually surf. The beach was a bit rocky though which was a bit sore on the feet.
We were starving afterwards and went for some seafood. This was the freshest seafood, so delicious and the usual very generous Peru portions. I will miss the food in Trujillo so much!

We hired the surf boards the next day and went out by ourselves, I was significantly better than Eoghan on this occasion I must say, it was a good four hour session in the water but unfortunately Eoghan forgot his rash vest in the surf shop, we didn't realise until after the shop had closed and we were leaving that night so we had to leave it behind, sad times!. We also booked a bus to Piura and were told we could get onto Mancora from there but the bus didn’t leave until 11pm but it was grand as our hostel said they would keep our bags until we left.

We tried to go the cinema here as the woman in our hostel said there would be films in English. When we got there, the only film in English was scream 4 so we sacked it and wandered round the shops in the mall.

Our bus was grand as we had the front seats which meant loads of leg room! We are really looking forward to Mancora, it sounds like a real party and surfing hotspot!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The amazing food in HuanchacoThe amazing food in Huanchaco
The amazing food in Huanchaco

My sea food cooked in sweet chili sauce came in a giant fish shaped bowl!


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb