More Moche


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Trujillo
December 30th 2010
Published: January 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

We decided to stay at Huanchaco by the beach instead of in the city of Trujillo. It has a nice walkway along the beach with cheap souvenirs and a jetty that is popular for fishing and a stroll (costs .5soles), nice restaurants - we ate at a Otra Casa vegetarian restaurant (Wayne went to some surf school guys with a grill and got churizzo burger which he was impressed by) and enjoyed a Trujillo Pilsener whilst the sun set over the reed boats that the local fishermen still use.

Huaca del a luna (sacred place of the moon) is a Moche site at the base of a mountain outside Trujillo. The colour and detail of the walls is original as it has been covered by sand and mud, the exposed sections are currently protected by climate control measures but they are a fraction of what is at the site that remains undisturbed.

Just outside Trujillo, toward Huanchaco, the largest adobe city in the world can be seen from the highway that runs right through the middle of it. The massive city developed by the Chimu culture is very impressive and the palace (one of 11 in the complex) that they have uncovered and partially restored has huge outer walls with lots of interesting decorative walls, storage rooms and burial chambers but it does not compare with the size, detail, colour and overall awesomeness of Huaca del a luna.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb