Goodbye lake titicaca...hello more lake titicaca


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
August 28th 2005
Published: August 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

dom enjoying the viewdom enjoying the viewdom enjoying the view

...it´s the other side
Well La Paz was great and everything, a little high but it was okay, great shopping and cheap as chips! But Itchy feet caught up with us so we packed up our things and got on a bus and ended up in Puno, Peru!!
But our last few days in La Paz were very adventurous indeed....

Tiwanaku
We finally gave in and decided to join a tour group, you know those annoying groups of people in North Face coats, bags, hats, gloves, underpants, who wear safari hats in the middle of the city, well we were one of those!
But it was worth it, we had an English speaking guide who pointed things out to us which we would never have noticed otherwise, such as the fact the statues had their noses cut off because the spanish thought they were demons...how that helped though i am not sure.
Anyway, that was pretty good, apart from Dom almost getting us kicked out by ´discretly´taking photos in a no camera section!! the ruins themselves were pretty impressive, but no Machu Pichu.
Anyway, after leaving behind the scariest 4 people we have ever met, and the rich kids of La Paz ("ya well I like can´t wait to be robbed, I like think it'll make me a stronger person"), and spending a stupid amount of money sending a stupid amount of tourist goods back to England (check the end of the blog if you want info on sending stuff home), we got a taxi to the border and negotiated with some cheeky rickshaw taxi boys at immigration, not pleased with their semi-streetwise gringo customers, and tip of half a bottle of flat Fanta. Then on board a bloody uncomfortable bus (my arse has never felt so violated, nor Dom´s - not even on the death road!) for about 4 god damn hours, to Puno.


Well here we are. Our first reaction to Peru, after Bolivia, was "wow, these people are RICH". Stained glass windows in cafes, traffic lights!!!!!, moving pedestrian signs (wow!) and prices more than double those in Bolivia. Puno itself doesn´t have much to do though, so we´ve been catching up on sleep and sampling the local food. Dom has now tried llama, alpaca and guinnea pig. Alpaca was the best.

Our Peruvian plans take us to some floating islands on lake titicaca (again - though much furthar south this time - it´s huge!) where we will stay with a local family before checking out a village whose prime attraction is stone phalluses! Who knows when the next blog will be. We have something special planned, and plans to juggle to be back in Rio in time for our homeward flight.



Post Office info...
Okay well Bolivia makes it impossible not to weigh yourself down with amazing tourist goods, so you most probably will have to post stuff back. The first time we sent stuff, or tried to, the post office didn´t tell us that it is actually much cheaper to send via 'la aduana'- customs. They send by sea and it can take weeks and weeks, but it's worth it for the savings. It´s also possible, if you are flying back from somewhere far away, to send packages to customs of your departure point, and pick them up from there before you fly. This can be cheaper, so maybe a good idea. Or you can do as we did and befriend a naive hostel owner (if you are flying back from where you arrived), email them a few times being friendly and then bombard them with boxes full of tourist goods, and email them on their birthday to keep them sweet!
Bolivia is the cheapest place to send back from as well as to buy, so you can´t lose. Especially as in La Paz, the correos is about 4 minutes walk from tourist central. Hello huge package!
It does take ages though, as first it all has to be examined for drugs, and dont worry about boxes, put in all in one of those laundry bags and then an old woman will to sew it into a white sack (what the hell was that about?). After that you have to queue to get it samped as okay, then fill out forms etc and queue to have it weighed and sent (by a mean lady). Our package was HUGE and weighed almost the same as our two backpacks when we left england, and cost us.. 520 Bs... that´s a lot, but what the hell, it´s not THAT much, and the stuff is great! Dom got a machette...and yes we did buy a few pressies!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

lovely lauralovely laura
lovely laura

(note the butterfly necklace, my well done on your exam gift from Dom!!!)
sun gate... or moon gate or somethingsun gate... or moon gate or something
sun gate... or moon gate or something

we wanted a book to explain all the stuff we saw, but a PAMPHLET was 20Bs...hint hint cough amazon.co.uk cough!
dom´s illegal photographdom´s illegal photograph
dom´s illegal photograph

this guy was more than 6 metres tall!
we were surprised to find a random march...we were surprised to find a random march...
we were surprised to find a random march...

... even more so to find sadam hussein participating
it would be great to know exactly what the hell was going on!it would be great to know exactly what the hell was going on!
it would be great to know exactly what the hell was going on!

it only lasted 10 minutes, then some suited men shook hands, one guy was interviewed, and some dude had a head like a cartoon... ????
uh.........uh.........
uh.........

why do I have the song 'Billy jean' in my head?
kids for breakfastkids for breakfast
kids for breakfast

desayuno de niño


29th August 2005

great pics
hi great pics the quality is really good. be careful going through the jungle. not much longer now 2more weeks about and then you will have to get a part time job to fund the next great adventure?.speak to you soon love you xxx
29th August 2005

exams
superpeople!!!congratulations on passed exams,well done!!!soon you have to at least mentally prepare for next term,oh dear...willseem like a diffrent world,which it is ,of course,you will never be the same again!!but that is life. lovely to see pics of uoy both.do you ever get my little messages?how is the leg,dom??love supergran
30th August 2005

MACHU PICCHU?
HEYY!!!!!!!!POR FAVOR GRINGOS, ITSA YOUR OLE FREEND RODRIQUEZ FROMA THEE CHEEPO TRAVEL AGENCY IN RIO!!!ENJOYING YOUR TRIP...,WE AIM TO PLEASE YES!!! SENOR DOM ,HE LIKA EATIN OUR EXOTIC ANIMALS,YES!, BOT NOT TRIED "RATTLESNAKE" BURGER?.YOU ARE NOW AT HIGH ALTITUDE, AIR ISA THIN SO TAKA CARE. JULIO ISA ASKING IF HE HAS TO MAKE TRAVEL SAFE TO MACCHU PICCHU?, OR NAZCA? LAST TIME JULIO VISITED NAZCA HE WASA SURE HE SAW A SPACESHIP!!!I SAY JULIO! YOU IDIOT!,YOU DRINKA TOO MUCH "JUNGLE-JUICE" HEH! HEH! SENOR DOM ANNA SENORITA LAURA I MOST GO SO HAVA GOOD TIME IN PENO, WILL BE IN TOCH! ARRIVAAAA!!!!

Tot: 0.139s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 20; qc: 81; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb