Camping next to an Incan ruin


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno
April 24th 2007
Published: April 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

SillistaniSillistaniSillistani

Taken from the campsite
We crossed the border into Peru just outside Copacabana. We went through Puno and arrived late afternoon at Sillistani, the hilltop Incan site. We camped just across the lagoon on a little penisular on the edge of a small settlement. Funny thing was that another Dragoman truck turned up. During the evening, ladies came from the settlement to sell us tourist tat. Unfortunately they weren´t selling things they made themselves, it was the same kind of stuff you saw in La Paz.

In the morning Rae had 4 or 5 children at her tent chatting away and watching her get ready. They played with the alarm clock and had some of a book read to them. After helping Rae get her hair platted, Rae gave them a couple of hair ties.

At Sillistani, we had a great guide. He knew lots of things, and even told us a fairy story. The site had been in used from 8000 BC up until Inca time. Most tombs were pre-Inca but the biggest tomb was Incan.

From Puno we chartered a boat to see the floating islands. These were constructed from reed beds, and if they weren´t anchored they would float away. Although a bit of a tourist trap, it was something unique and we were glad to have seen it.

We had enough time in Puno to go to the Cathedral and buy some postcards. It was raining cats and dogs when we got back to the truck. It had been planned that we would return to Sillistani for a second night of camping, but the suggestion of a night drive to Cusco was well received, so off we went.



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

PunoPuno
Puno

The cathdral


Tot: 0.033s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0153s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb