PERU...Lake Titicaca Homestays...the best remedy for a disaster


Advertisement
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
January 9th 2016
Published: January 9th 2016
Edit Blog Post

PERU...Lake Titicaca Homestays. I've been robbed of my money and passport when travelling, had numerous slips and falls, even rolled a car upside down in a creek, travelled with a necrotic leg, been locked up, nearly drowned countless times, been freaked out in the deepest dark caverns, hung onto various cliffs for dear life to avoid being blown off, had food poisoning, bites, stings, disappointm... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 92, Displayed: 21


Advertisement





9th January 2016

I feel your pain!
Camera failure is one of the few things that can really phase me when I'm travelling! Us travellers are made of sturdy stock but when our ability to capture and permanent our experiences wane so does our sturdiness. I'm glad you found good remedy in the home stays and the people you met. The people, the food, the culture, the sights and all the wonders, it's what keeps us going, ever traversing forward to see more, experience more, learn more, live more. Another great instalment in your's and Denise's dancing around the world.
9th January 2016

I feel your pain!
I was unable to properly feel our daughter's pain when she told us of her camera being stolen from her bag in Cusco just after she had completed the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, as unless it happens to you you cannot adequately understand. Yet I could feel her anguish and empathize. Memories of India, Nepal, meeting her brother in Canada & USA, adventures in Equador & Peru lost forever.My experience of camera failure of course pails in significance. Your insightful comments appreciated as always Per-Olof.
9th January 2016

Inspring!
One of my *next* destinations, another lifelong dream in your pics...This line is pure poetry Dave - She manages she says...'cause this is the only life to which she was born. Puts a lot in perspective doesnt it - thank you.
9th January 2016

Inspiring
Thank you for your kind words Cindy. Words are probably our most important form of communication. They can make or break relationships. I sometimes regret the impulsive, reactive words that cannot be withdrawn, yet spontaneity can also be priceless. The following words were measured and considered before I penned them. I'm glad they spoke to you. Our homestay host was a gem but these words described her for me, "Esther has a teenage daughter. Her husband left when she was born. She manages she says...but her eyes are forlorn. She manages she says...'cause this is the only life to which she was born."
9th January 2016

Inspiring...Fulfilling lifelong dreams
Cindy this is for you. If Peru and it's highlights are among your lifelong dreams may I encourage you to fulfill them...sometime...some day...but definitely. My next blog is about a dream I had when I was 10 or 11 that took me too many years to attempt to fulfill. Take your moment when you can Cindy. Yep...while you can. Then measure your smile...if you can!
10th January 2016

Sorry about your camera...
but your pictures are still fantastic with a 55 mm lens. And thanks for the memories. We had to eat a lot of coca leaves to make it up that hill.
10th January 2016

Sorry about your camera...
The pictures are not as good as they should have been but that's just me speaking. Some of Denise's iphone shots are better (sigh), I can just picture Linda & you climbing that hill Bob (presume you mean Taquille)...without me to push you!
10th January 2016

Homestays
hi Dave Homestays get you right to heart of things wherever they are .... I have been doing house swaps and hospitality swaps for about 25 years ...meeting such kind and generous people. Ans yes I am exhausted just reading about all your escapades. cheers ...look forward the the next episode.
11th January 2016

Homestays
Sounds like you are the Queen of Homestays Lynne. Esther was such a wonderful hostess who did not have much but was willing to share what she had with an open heart. We highly recommend the Amantari experience.
10th January 2016
Water Tornado over Titicaca

Water tornado
I'd really like to see one. What a shame that your camera broke when you see something as awesome as this!
11th January 2016
Water Tornado over Titicaca

Water tornado
One of those moments in traveling Harold that makes the heart skip a beat.
16th January 2016
Friends for Fiesta

A tough old rooster
Camera failure sucks....nothing more can be said....and in Peru...holy crap. You have a good, good woman who will give up her lens for you. Guess buying those baubles in Honduras paid off my friend! You always end up in the right place. People make the travel worthwhile. A beautiful blog.
16th January 2016
Friends for Fiesta

A tough old rooster
I can tell an MJ from 50 paces...rings on her fingers...bells on her toes. More the rings than the bells but whose counting? Here's to you MJ. Yep...can't hold an old rooster down.
23rd January 2016

Lake Titicaca
I did look at doing a homestay in Lake Titicaca but opted for more time in Lima, I now regret that decision after reading your blog. I am travelling solo so decided to do Machu Picchu through a tour operator. Perhaps I should have been brave and did it alone. Shame about your camera, but still very good photos. The Amantari fiesta looks amazing
24th January 2016

Lake Titicaca
I hear Lima is a must for fusion food Alan so I suggest you check that out. As a solo traveler I reckon you are wise to get the most out of Peru by checking out what tour operators have on offer. At least visit some travel agents when you are there as local knowledge is priceless.
3rd June 2016

Popping colours
I know...I'm a little late. Am doing some catching up! Anyhow, I loved this photo - the colours really pop. So whichever working camera you were using, it's a good one!
3rd June 2016

Popping colours
Hi Rachael. Titicaca fashions for the ladies are bright colours one day, bright colours the next. Not easy to capture with a small camera as the light is so intense. Glad you have joined the ride...never too late!

Tot: 0.425s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 53; qc: 194; dbt: 0.2515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.8mb