PUNO / TAQUILE


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
October 28th 2010
Published: June 21st 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a full day of travel from La Paz enjoying the spectacular views around Lake Titicaca, we arrive to Puno. We were fortunate enough to arrive on one of many Catholic feast days to witness the street processions celebrating which was televised.

After spending one night in Puno, we board a boat and head to Taquile Island for lunch in a local restaurant and the chance for some shopping in the local weaving outlets. From there we head to Amantani where overnight with a local family and enjoy typical music of the area. The overnight homestay provides us an opportunity to learn more about rural life, participate in a local football game as well as embrace ourselves in local traditions. We are also taught a lesson in the language 'Aymara' to prepare us with the home stay as there was not a word of english spoken. The home stay had to be one of the best experiences so far.

The weather was very cold at night (the alpaca sweater I bought from the market in Bolivia came in handy).

The next morning we head out by boat across Lake Titicaca. Titicaca is the largest lake in the world above 2000m, and the views are stunning. On our way to Taquile Island we pass the floating islands of the Uros people where they use Totora reeds that grow in the shallow parts of the lake to make everything, even the islands themselves to boats that the islanders sell. We were explained that the islands are made up of layers of reeds; as the layers start to rot by the water underneath, they are replaced with fresh reeds on top. Amazing!!

The following morning we visit the Uros Islands on our way back to Puno.


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb