Lake Titicaca...its just as beautiful as its name is amusing :)


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca
November 10th 2008
Published: November 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This lake is so beautiful and so are its Quechua and Ayamara people whose ancestors have called Titicaca home for thousands of years. In spite of the tons of tourists that seem to be everywhere (can´t imagine what it is like in the high season), I really enjoyed my days here. It was borderline magical to spend time in a place and with people who are so different in so many ways from what I am and from where I come from. Without any electricity, running water, and limited resources, these communities seem to be stuck in time. And yet they function so beautifully and smoothly on their own and in their own way. I love these kinds of opportunities that prove that in spite of whatever superficial yet equally significant cultural and physical differences between us, we are still able to appreciate, share, and be in common with each other without sacrificing those differences. Very valuable lessons learned.


Additional photos below
Photos: 191, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

All eyes were fixed on the CNN news report on election day in the reggae bar in Puno, PeruAll eyes were fixed on the CNN news report on election day in the reggae bar in Puno, Peru
All eyes were fixed on the CNN news report on election day in the reggae bar in Puno, Peru

We celebrated with lots of dancing and toasts to our new president...it was a wonderful international way to spend this historical moment.
Then there was the children´s parade through town..Then there was the children´s parade through town..
Then there was the children´s parade through town..

it lasted all day and included THOUSANDS of children of all ages dressed up and dancing to the typical music of the area...so adorable


13th November 2008

wow, great pics
My favorite is the close-up of the Llama eating, and the other one with the man taking a picture of the llama. The picture of the adorable boy (close-up) is great. What a gallery!
16th November 2008

thank you
thank you so much for your reply on the info for the bus company and canyon tour. I have heard good things about Land Adventures. love the photos of lake Titica! shame that it is so touristy, but it seems from what you have written that the culture of the people has not been too affected. Hopefully the tourists that lake titica attracts are respectful. looking forward to reading more from you. my partner and i will be there in 5 days. Cant wait!!!

Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 17; qc: 65; dbt: 0.0776s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb