Living with the locals on Lake Titikaka


Advertisement
Peru's flag
South America » Peru » Puno » Lake Titicaca » Taquile Island
October 11th 2005
Published: October 15th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Sandwiches & snow ballsSandwiches & snow ballsSandwiches & snow balls

We leave Cusco and head up into the mountains. This is where we stopped for lunch
So what an amazing experience. Its true what they say about Lake Titicaca (or Titikaka if you are a local) truely amazing scenery and the blue sky reflects across the water with such a deep blue colour you could be in Greece.

The tuk tuk ride was too much for Alex as 10 minutes into the 4 hour boat ride she was being sick. Unfortunately she missed out on the 2 hour up hill walk on the Island of Taquille (which was meant to be a 40min flat walk!?) and the lunch cooked for us by the local Mayor!?

The men here have an interesting tradition of knitting their own hats and competition is rife to see who has the most stylish and elaborate.

We were given a sheet of helpful Quechua words that we had 10 mins to learn before we landed on the Amantani islands and met our new family for the night. Needless to say my first words after hello were do you speak Spanish - luckily they did! We then embarked on a 30 minute walk up a very steep hill to their house. The altitude was a nightmare which made it very difficult
Juliaca - a lovely place in Peru!!!??Juliaca - a lovely place in Peru!!!??Juliaca - a lovely place in Peru!!!??

One of Perus major cities, no roads, very poor housing and strange things going on on the side of the roads!
to breathe.

We bonded with the local community by getting the guys to play football with the local team which helped us all to keep warm as it was freezing. Each one of the local families gave us a lovely woolen hat to wear, you´ll see the pics.

The strangest experience ever was dinner. Everyone was so friendly and interested to learn about us. It was very embarrassing with our pigeon Spanish but we managed to understand quite a bit. The mum & dad were 55, the son 25 and Nancy 18. The son sells t-shirts in Lima so has quite a bit of contact with gringos. The mother and daughter have never left the Island.

The pictures do not do it justice. The room was lit by only a candle and a small fire so it was exceptionally dark. Every time Alex was given a plate she would get out her torch and shine it at her food before she ate (not that it helped her as she ate the food and her sickness continued well into the night). For starters we had a potato and corn soup which was lovely and for main we had potatoes with rice. Potatoes and rice are their staple diet as they are unable to grow much else on the Island.

It was a very humbling experience and I would be so embarrased if they came to my house. They live with the absolute minimum but seem very happy. Simple things seem to mean the earth. Nancy had a mosquito bite so I gave her my bite cream and her and her brother were happy. They don´t have cream of any kind on the island. We were not allowed to give them money so instead we took them a food gift but its not until you are there that you can appreciate what would really be useful.

After dinner Nancy dressed us up in the local costumes and took us to the local hall to meet the others and learn their traditional dance. Alex was overwhelmed by all the excitement and left early still not feeling well (altitude and stomach bug).....The family were lovely and put her to bed with a hot water bottle (an old coke bottle) and a cup of coco tea. The next morning the dad told Alex off for drinking too much cold beer and making herself sick!!!??

We said goodbye to the family and Nancy took us and our belongings down to the boat we said farewall and it was all over...though it did seem as though we were there a lot longer than 1 night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 50, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

PunoPuno
Puno

This is the jumping off point into Lake Titicaca to see the floating islands
Tuk tuk racing against Pete & PatTuk tuk racing against Pete & Pat
Tuk tuk racing against Pete & Pat

On our way to the boat on Lake Titicaca at Puno
Lake TitikakaLake Titikaka
Lake Titikaka

The Peruvians call it Titkaka not Titicaca as apparently that means shit in Spanish!!??
Island of TaquilleIsland of Taquille
Island of Taquille

Apparently we are here for a short walk with no up hill walking!!!...Yeah right!!!!
Helen, Shona & EllaHelen, Shona & Ella
Helen, Shona & Ella

We arrive for our short walk on the Isle of Taquille to get lunch!!??
Men knitting hats!Men knitting hats!
Men knitting hats!

In Taquille the men are proud to knit and wear their own hats!!??..They only speak Quecha here so we couldn´t have much of a conversation
We arrive on Amantani IslandWe arrive on Amantani Island
We arrive on Amantani Island

This is our home for the next 24 hours! Again its mainly Quecha spoken here with some Spanish if you are lucky!
Who lives in a house like this?...Who lives in a house like this?...
Who lives in a house like this?...

A very short person!...Hmm...just banged my head!...Could be very dangerous! Ella & Nancy at our new lodgings
Inca Alex and NancyInca Alex and Nancy
Inca Alex and Nancy

We are stayed with Nancy and her family. Nancy is 18 and had the job of looking after us or being our "mum"


Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 71; dbt: 0.0606s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb