Peru Day 3


Advertisement
Published: September 24th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone, thanks for the messages, just back from the Jungle where there was no Internet, so we will try and catch up.

20th September

Another early start with the alrm going off at 5.30am. We had packed the majority of things the night before, but were ensuring we had all the items we needed as we would be leaving some of our luggage at the airport beofre heading off into the jungle.

Our flight went via Cusco, before carrying on to Puerto Maldonado. As we flew into the airport, we got our first view of the jungle, and we landed at a small airstrip - proportedly an "International" airport with one runway and two baggage carosels!

We were met in arrivals by representatvies from our Lodge, where we were shown to our transportation. This was a big old Ford truck with open sides and park benches for seats - no padding. Next to the airport there was a butterfly farm owned by our Lodge where they took us to check in. We had just enough time to have a quick look round the butterfly house before carrying on our journey to the port to catch a boat to the Lodge. After about 45 minutes on a small river boat, passing several lodges on the way, we pulled up along side our Lodge. We had seen people panning for gold along the riverbank as well as local fishermen with nets and keep nets. The river provided a welcome breeze to combat ther heat of the jungle which was in stark contrast to the cold and damp we had left behind in Lima. We were taken into the "Ecolodge" along a pathway made of rounds of tree trunks. Here we were given a welcome pack comprising a postcard, brochure, pencil and leaflet, and introduced to our Guide Karina. We went straight into lunch which is served in the main house. After missing breakfast we were quite hungry. We weren´t prepared for the meal that awaited which was from an a la carte menu and was lovely, however there was far too much of it. Whilst we sat eating, three scarlet macaws flew across the grass and settled in the tree opposite, and as we left, there were some black and brown small monkeys in the trees outside. We then went to our room, which was a cabin with hammocks and chairs on the porch, two beds with mosquito nets, a bathroom and shower. There were a number of nice touches, including complimentary water bottles, robes, slippers made from recycled tyres and a selection of toileteries.

We just had time to unpack and try out the hammocks for half an hour, before reconvening in the Eco Lodge to discuss the activities for the next two days. Originally Llama Travel had issued us with an itinery, however they had stated that the Lodge had introduced an a la carte style of choosing you own trips to suit. No longer an option was a trip to Rollin Island to see the monkeys as they were deemed to be too agressive.

Our Guide then took us on an Introductory trail close to the Lodge for an hour. As well as lots of fauna including the citronella plant and one with furry roots, we also saw a wild turkey, fire ants, army ants, termite nests, fire flys and then right at the end of the trail, squirrel monkeys.

We then had a 3/4hr break before the next activity, and on the way back to the room we saw an agouti, which is a brazil nut eating rodent approx the size of a cat, but with no tail.

At 6pm we met for the nocternal river trip, where we went out along the river bank in a small boat with the Guides shining a search light to try and locate cayman - small alligator. We were fortunate to see a couple out on the river bank as well as lots of pairs of eyes in the water. The highlight for us was when we saw a family of capybarra that had come down to the river to drink. The boat pilot managed to get us in really close, and we were able to follow them for a short while as they made their way along the river bank.

It was then back to the Lodge to freshen up before dinner.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Our luxury vesselOur luxury vessel
Our luxury vessel

Life jackets were a requirement!
Reserva AmazonicaReserva Amazonica
Reserva Amazonica

One of the properties run by Inkaterra.


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.022s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb